rocket building help

jules

building a 6cm in diameter rocket out of KClO3 and sugar would like to know if anyone can tell me a good metal to build it out of, thought aluminium would melt to easily. have some stainless steel but that is quite heavy, any ideas?

also side note in the amateur science section why not have a help section rather than just completed projects so i would have somewhere to put all of my annoying posts:-)

Paper?

Most fireworks are made of paper, so it might also be good enough for you? :D

The fact that paper can burn is irrelevant. Your rocket will burn so fast that the paper has no time to heat up. Also, the paper is insulated by the rocket fuel itself.

You want to roll up many papers into one tube. Perhaps it's a good idea to attach all papers to each other with tape first?

One enormous advantage of paper is that it is quite harmless in case your rocket blows up (and let me tell you that in case of a 6cm rocket, the *boom* can be quite impressive - so safety should be your top priority!). Because you will have many layers of paper, the individual fragments are very light. You'll make paper snow, which is just funny, not dangerous :)

I would advise against the use of any metal or ceramic for a first time amateur rocket. Once you have done some tests with the rocket-fuel, and when you understand it's power, then perhaps you can work with metal. For now: safety, safety, safety... therefore paper should be your material.

Paper is also easy to roll up, and therefore you can create exactly the diameter you want.

Also, I advise to make smaller rockets first. 6 cm is quite large.

Also, I advise to make sure that you understand how to stabilize a rocket. You don't want a 6cm diameter rocket flying horizontal in stead of vertical.

A nozzle can be made out of betonite. Betonite is the stuff used for the cat litter.

Edited by CaptainPanic

You may want to check the FAA website before you proceed: they have regulations that cover model rocketry. Using a substantial piece of metal triggers a greater degree of scrutiny...