antimatter batteries!

max.yevs

stupidest post ever?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. stupidest post ever?

• yes
    • no

i realized that antimatter could never be used very efficiently, because the great amount of power that is released when they annhilate matter is at most 100% of the energy required to make the antimatter.

but they probably have very good energy density, and could be used as batteries...

except i don't know, do they react with any matter they come into contact with?

oh, and they'll be better then nuclear batteries. batteries that work on nuclear reactions might overheat.

i realized that antimatter could never be used very efficiently, because the great amount of power that is released when they annhilate matter is at most 100% of the energy required to make the antimatter.

but they probably have very good energy density, and could be used as batteries...

except i don't know, do they react with any matter they come into contact with?

oh, and they'll be better then nuclear batteries. batteries that work on nuclear reactions might overheat.

Not the craziest post ever, it is a nice idea but it wouldn't work. Antimatter isn't found in nature so far, it can been seen being created in particle collisions, but usually in a matter and antimatter particle pair which annihilate right after.

Here is a quote related to your subject from a CERN physicist:

You can imagine antimatter as a storage medium for energy, much like you store electricity in rechargeable batteries. The process of charging the battery is reversible with relatively small loss. Still, it takes more energy to charge the battery than you get back.

The inefficiency of antimatter production is enormous: you get only a tenth of a billion (10-10) of the invested energy back. If we could assemble all the antimatter we've ever made at CERN and annihilate it with matter, we would have enough energy to light a single electric light bulb for a few minutes.

-from http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/Spotlight/SpotlightAandD-en.html

So it's a no go at this time and in any foreseeable future.

ok, yeah, not in any forseeable future...

i was just thinking why they don't create antimatter bombs, kind of like nuclear bombs- because it will take a tremendous amount of energy to actualy create the bomb.

only upside is storage- all that energy could be stored in one bomb- or one battery for that case.