This is TOTALLY off-topic...could you all give me some resume advice...for my father?

Lan(r)12

Just for the record, yes, I am quite capable of preparing a conventional resume. But due to the fact it is for my father, I am unaware of how to construct this particular resume...

Also, I ask here because I assume you people have a good deal of experience applying for jobs and what-not.

Well, the reason I'm having trouble is that my father has been self employed for the last 30 years...he's been a farmer, and Im not sure if you would put that in the jobs section...would you? How would you go about describing his job?

And he can only do basic stuff with the computer...but he is an incredibly intelligent man...It took me only an hour to explain differentiation and integration to him, and he was able to help me with my calc homework lol

How would you put that in a reume without conveying an air of pretention? He also used to work 120 hour weeks...3 hours of sleep at night...I see that as a positive quality, but does it have a place in a resume?

It's a job at a Power Plant, and he does have an A.S. in Electronics (30 years ago, that was pretty good lol).

Could you all give me some advice on how to construct his resume?

Thanks for any and all help! :)

Edited by Lan(r)12

• 2 weeks later...

He needed the hour to refresh things he probably had done before. You are right. Having worked for 30 years on his own farm (or at a farm) gives him a lot of practical experience, wisdom and know how to solving problems which occur.

My advice is to him (since he is asking you) to not worry too much that his experience won't stand up. He should make the resume conventional , but add sides.skills about him which are derived by his work/life in the resume I'd say. If he gets an interview it's important to show one is not feeling insecure or without confidence. A man who knows many things is naturally confident, not insecure.. this is important to convey.

How to make it sound more technical is something I guess you guys will know better how to present than us.

that's my 2 pence.

I would recommend him to start brushing up a little bit on some books on what he educated himself to help him rememebr some of the things he did.. .also makes it easier to correlate to potential discussions questions duruing an interview.