Is the chloroplast considered a cell?

cheungcheung

it`s Part of a plant cell yes' date=' but they are not cells themselves :)

and you don`t have to call any of us "Sir" :)[/quote']

Hi YT, how about the liver? Some books said it consists of cells. :confused:

----------------difficult...

Hi Dude :)

animal biology isn`t really my area of knowledge, I have basic High school education in Bio, but if I remember correctly the liver is made of many cells, but is different to regular animal cells in that it`s missing something that the others have, but I can`t remember what :(

I`m sure the others will know though :)

You remembered correcly YT!

Plant Cells have:

-Nucleus

-Cell membrane

-Vacuole

-Cell wall

-Chloroplasts

Animal cells have:

-Nucleus

-Cell membrane

The vacuole, cell wall and the chloroplasts are the only parts that the animal cell doesn't have! I have obviously left out other smaller parts like the mitochondrion as both cells have them. I have only written about the main parts :)

You remembered correcly YT!

Plant Cells have:

-Nucleus

-Cell membrane

-Vacuole

-Cell wall

-Chloroplasts

Animal cells have:

-Nucleus

-Cell membrane

The vacuole' date=' cell wall and the chloroplasts are the only parts that the animal cell doesn't have! I have obviously left out other smaller parts like the mitochondrion as both cells have them. I have only written about the main parts :)[/quote']

and here i was banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what is it that the liver cell don't have :mad:

should have thought/remembered that this thread from the get-go was about plant cells which then moved on to animal cells. Doh!!!

and actually, animal cells do have vacuoles ;)

Do they? I don't think so, because the vaculoe controls the amount of water in the cell of plants. Turgidity means that the plant cells are stiff, and this is caused by the vacuole pushing against the cell wall!

ya know, for the life of me I still can`t remember what it was about either red blood cells or maybe it was liver cells (or both) that differ from ordinary animal cells???

it`s driving me nuts and I can`t find my notes :(

Its the red blood cells YT. They have nothing in them. No nucleus at all. This is to make space for the haemoglobin so that they can carry oxygen better. The negative thing is that they can only live for about a month before dying because they have no nucleus to maintain them!

Yes, animals do have vacuoles but way smaller than plants cells because animalcells don't need to be so stiff (waterpressure from the vacuole against the cellwall).

You have just amde a gigantic mistake :( I talked to the biology teacher. He says that animal cells do NOT have vacuoles. What you were talking about are vesicles!

You have just amde a gigantic mistake :( I talked to the biology teacher. He says that animal cells do NOT have vacuoles. What you were talking about are vesicles!

well, we're on the internet, so let me look it up to make sure:

http://sun.menloschool.org/~cweaver/cells/c/vacuole/

A vacuole is membrane bound sac found in plant and animal cells that is used for storage. It also plays a role in intracellular digestion and release of cell waste. It has a variety of functions ranging from protection of a plant to endocytosis. Each plant cell also has a central vacuole, which is formed by the coalescence of smaller vacuoles. The vacuole is very important to the cell.

http://www.botany.uwc.ac.za/SCI_ED/grade10/cells/vacuoles.htm

Vacuoles are seldom prominent features in animal cells and are normally confined to simple animal forms where they are observed as small contractile vacuoles.

http://www.georgetown.txed.net/faculty/forbes/SheffieldCells/Period%208/animalcellsarahkensleybrandon.htm

(surely, you can find hundreds or thousands other websites that say the same thing)

Yeah, looks correct to me! I actaully beleived that there were vacuoles in the first place when you told me so. But, when I told him about it, he said no. They were called Vesicles. What could have led him to say that?

Yeah, looks correct to me! I actaully beleived that there were vacuoles in the first place when you told me so. But, when I told him about it, he said no. They were called Vesicles. What could have led him to say that?

that's negotiable and a thing of perspective/preference.

some choose to call them vesicles, others call them vacuoles ;)

well actually according to this site:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/animals/cell/

it has both of them. A vacuole is under a vacuole topic and a vesicle is under the golgi body topic. have a look!

just remember, if the teacher is not an active in his/her field and aquiring new information, then his/her worth is only as good as the book that they teach from.