trying understand the wire like glass

william12h

First of all, your choice of words is wrong: the bonds between atoms might break, but atoms themselves really don't break in glass... or for that matter in any material. (Breaking atoms is known as nuclear fission - it doesn't happen when you just heat a material).

Second: why would they break? Glass is a very strong material, with lots of covalent bonds.

Check these links: About Covalent bonds and the physics of glass.

Did that help?

yes it did help but i ment like how does the glass not brake when it on the airplane ,glass and (sorry for my spelling i cant spell :( ) alouminion .

the glass and the alouminion makes an airplane body but when a bird or something hit it how does the body not smash is sortmof what i ment

it doesn't completely disintegrate because they designed it to withstand the forces. its not the same type of glass thats used in your own windows.

The cockpit windows on an aeroplane are made of many different layers of different glasses and plastics. if it is hit by a bird on takeoff or landing it WILL break it just won't shatter inwards or let the bird through and hence kill the pilot.

the window designs are tested before they can be used in jetliners.

on smaller planes however, the windows will shatter if hit by a bird. they don't use the thinker windows used in larger planes because they'd be too heavy and the smaller plane wouldn't fly so well with them. and not flying well is an issue for a plane.