Need help

dodi92

in a question i came across, it asked why sodium hydrogencarbonate precipitates at a certain temperature ( i think it was room temperature)

and i really have no clue!

someone please help, or refer me to somewhere with some information!

thankyouuu!

Sodium hydrogencarbonate, also known as sodium bicarbonate, dissolves in water (I'm assuming you're talking about solutions in water?). But it has a maximum solubility, meaning that at some point enough is enough, and no more will dissolve.

This point for "enough is enough" is dependent on the temperature... meaning that the maximum solubility changes when the temperature changes... and it depends on the material if the solubility goes up or down with an increase in temperature.

I'll leave you to figure out the rest... But this is something you can try at home! (Kids, please try this at home). When can you dissolve the most salt (normal kitchen salt) in water? When it's boiling hot, or when it's cold?

And what happens if you then change the temperature (cool it down)?

And finally: precipitation is the opposite from dissolution (to precipitate is the opposite from to dissolve).