work function of hydrogen

gre

No data, I'm just looking for the equation to figure it out. I just have: J = A*T^2 * e^(-W/kT)

where, J=current density, A=Richardson's contant,T=temp in kelvins, W=work function.

Edit: I meant A= Richardson's constant

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

I've read the the thermionic work function is usually right around 1/2 the elements ionization energy.. But, I'm still looking for an equation and a definite answer ... Can anyone help?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

What is required for hydrogen to even have free electrons? I guess at a certain temperature and pressure ti becomes a metal in theory .. But what temperature and pressure this theorized to be?

Edited by gre

I think you're studying this in a slightly different context to that which I am familiar with the term 'work function', so I'm not sure I can help.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest rearranging your formula in terms of W and pump whatever numbers you have available into it?

Bulk samples can be ionised without them becoming metallic, e.g. in a mass spectrometer or a particle accelerator.

Thanks, I tried that but the result looked wrong.. Maybe I was doing the math wrong. How could you solve for W in the above equation?

Edited by gre

Thanks Atheist.

I came up with 7.35 eV this time for ground state hydrogen.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

How would you solve for "T" in that equation?