Luminol

MulderMan

Well i want to begin studying forensic science for a bit, ive watched Quincy and CSI and shows like that for a while. Im wondering if theres any good online or mail order stores (UK) that carry things such as Luminol (C8H7O3N3)and other things you might see on TV. I seen in another thread someone is doing a science degree with forensic science or something and I just wonder if your doing a profesional degree do you do all the science stuff or is it mostly law? and is things different in england because ive heard there are SOCO's (scence of the crime officers) that collect the evidence and then deposit it back at a lab? An how does Luminol actually work? react with the heme in the blood? If it helps i think the compound is (C8H7O3N3).

Criminal investigation constitutes just a part of forensic science. Quincy and CSI are absolutely nothing like real life so ignore any goings on in those programs.

Forensics is a very diverse field of science, with chemistry physics and biology all playing a part.

See these lecture notes for more:

http://ch-www.st-andrews.ac.uk/teaching/lectures/1002/f/

says i need a passoword for them notes but nevermind. so is there any uk stores that carry forensic supplies or luminol or is the price not worth it? well ive heard you can get them sticks called heme sticks (ive only seen dia sticks before) and i think you can buy them in the chemist. and can you explain

have you looked into whether or not ethanedioate esters and dye can be used with a H2O2 spray?

Well i want to begin studying forensic science for a bit, ive watched Quincy and CSI and shows like that for a while.

A bit unreal, try Discovery channel "Forensic files"

Im wondering if theres any good online or mail order stores (UK) that carry things such as Luminol (C8H7O3N3)and other things you might see on TV.

There are numerous outlets that supply investigative material for serology, latent prints and moulding also chemicals.

I seen in another thread someone is doing a science degree with forensic science or something and I just wonder if your doing a profesional degree do you do all the science stuff or is it mostly law?

I am that person, i am studying BSc (Hons) / ASFI, that is applied science and forensic investigation, science more than law, although you can study Forensic science with law, the main areas are that of chemistry biology maths and physics, you also have research methods, investigative techniques, photography, a small section of law (approx 6-hours), and an area of serology, you also have lots of labs, but i was good at science and already had a BSc (Hons) Chemistry, you would need a-level chemistry and maths at grade C or above or a GNVQ chem high level.

and is things different in england because ive heard there are SOCO's (scence of the crime officers) that collect the evidence and then deposit it back at a lab?

Usually for testing yes, there are strict rules that you MUST follow.

An how does Luminol actually work?

See gregs link.

Hope that helped anymore questions just ask.

ive watched the forensic files a few times on discovery. indeed you are that person and i would like to thank you for clearing up what seems so be fiction ;). will that key grove place ship to a residency or is it just for companys? sent for a catalog anyway thanks. aslo wolfson what job would you do after your degree?