Rosalind Franklin and Women in Science

Ms. DNA

Hi All,

I'm going to be on a panel about Rosalind Franklin at a science fiction convention Memorial Day weekend. This is the panel description:

Rosalind Franklin, Dark Lady of DNA (Science)

Brenda Maddox has just published [actually, it came out last year] a biography of Rosalind Franklin, the neglected researcher whose photos of the DNA molecule led to the double-helix breakthrough. Part of the reason why scientific history has ignored her is circumstantial---she died young, several years before the Nobel Prize was awarded to Watson and Crick. But she was also famously mistreated in Watson's book The Double Helix. Her case has implications for the position of women in science as a whole---past, present, and future. Let's discuss.

I'm not seeking information on Franklin; I have two biographies on her. But I thought this would be an interesting place to discuss what other people think of her and the state of women in science as a whole. Looking forward to hearing your opinions. :)

Wow, that's pretty weird. I was just thinking about women in science yesterday. I was wondering why I can name so many male scientists, einstein, bohr, darwin, but not many female, curie, that's all i can come up off the top of my head.

I once heard on the radio about a program for education in the sciences and math for girls 6th grade and up. The program said that, "Many girls lose interest in math and science..." So I think to myself, maybe girls generally don't like science because they think it's nerdy. Then I think, but what if male scientists are suppressing the female ones? Was my thought right?

Wow' date=' that's pretty weird. I was just thinking about women in science yesterday. I was wondering why I can name so many male scientists, einstein, bohr, darwin, but not many female, curie, that's all i can come up off the top of my head.

I once heard on the radio about a program for education in the sciences and math for girls 6th grade and up. The program said that, "Many girls lose interest in math and science..." So I think to myself, maybe girls generally don't like science because they think it's nerdy. Then I think, but what if male scientists are suppressing the female ones? Was my thought right?[/quote']

considering that for the longest time that women weren't accepted in many places outsides of their 'kitchen' environment, you're not too far from the truth. so yeah, that's why for every 2 dozen(roughly speaking) of the big named male names you come up, there may be only 1 woman.

I once heard on the radio about a program for education in the sciences and math for girls 6th grade and up. The program said that' date=' "Many girls lose interest in math and science..." So I think to myself, maybe girls generally don't like science because they think it's nerdy. [/quote']

That could be part of it, though I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a nerdette. Another reason could be the "men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses" attitude. When I was a teenager many moons ago, a friend's mother told me I shouldn't act smart so guys would like me. I didn't listen and didn't date in high school, but I made up for it in college by finding a wonderful man who loves me for who I am, brains and all. I wonder how much that attitude affects teenagers today.

I think there'd be a lot more women in science if it wasn't for the fact that for some reason it's misconstrued as a man's subject. At least we can be grateful for the fact that at least the prejudice doesn't seem to be as apparent in the scientific community any more.