Intel HyperThreading Technology

bloodhound

Hi. i have a intel 2.3 Ghz laptop

just downloaded pcmark 04 to see whats my laptop like . and i saw one interesting thing in the system details section

intel.jpg

u can see that it says Hyperthreading is available but disabled. I never knew it was available , there was no mention of that when i bought the computer etc. Has pc mark diagnosed my computer wrong. is it possible to enable hyper threading in mine>

help

If you actually have HyperThreading, then Windows XP uses it but none of the other windows operating systems do. Of course, pcmark could've misread the information, just look at your hardware specs I suppose.

• 7 months later...

nope, hyperthreading is only enabled by default on processors more than 3.03GHz as that is the recommended minimum speed for hyper threading.

however does anyone know exactly how it works? i ask because i am wondering whether it would be advantageous to me on a 2.53GHz comp.

I'm running an Intel 2.6 Ghz on my Dell. There is a boot screen where I can simply turn hyperthreading on and off. I don't remember the exact command, but it's hitting something like F1 during startup. I'm fairly certain mine was enabled when I bought the comp. as well.

i think it's f2... its the BIOS, it is there in all P4, but i thought it was disabled by 99% of manufacturers on processors under 3.03GHz as that was the intel recommended minimum speed.

is anyone running it at the moment on less than 3GHz????

Like i said. not all p4 processors HT capability. but you can't choose to enable due to the fact that its been disabled physically by intel during the production.

[edit my laptop is now 2.8Ghz. the numbers done matter nowdays. its all to do with the amount of work a processor can do in a cycle. AMD's have shorter cpu pathways, thus will be able to do more work with less clock speed..

hmmm, the option isnt threre.... seemingly you need to have a 'B' revision P4 processor on which you can enable HT from the BIOS, however 'A' revision P4 processor you cant... or you need a BIOS update, im not really sure... does anyone know?

its certainly not there in my BIOS though.

In summary, do not expect HT to change your life that much unless you use a computationally intensive program such as a video editing or a high-end game designed to really take advantage of HT benefits, almost all of which are not yet commercially available.

reading ads/disads on all different sites, it seems it would not be ultra useful for the average home or work user... only those extreme users in professional video/game editing/making.

i cant find anything about enabling it... except from when it says "in the BIOS" wich doesnt help me.

my friend has it enabled, he says it helps with rendering things, other than that you cant tell the difference - that's what he found anyway.

most sites say the ONLY programs it helps is imaging/video and that it DOESNT help booting or the average program or game.

It'll make little or no difference to everyday usage, as it says in the article. I spent a week with HT enabled and a week with HT disabled. Didn't notice a thing.

(Note: I also edit video on a semi-professional level using Avid Xpress Pro. However, I didn't find much improvement there either tbh.)