The 'first true scientist'

oranphil

This is a very interesting article from the BBC news:

The 'first true scientist'

By Professor Jim Al-Khalili

University of Surrey

An artist's impression of al-Hassan Ibn al-Haytham

Isaac Newton is, as most will agree, the greatest physicist of all time.

At the very least, he is the undisputed father of modern optics,* or so we are told at school where our textbooks abound with his famous experiments with lenses and prisms, his study of the nature of light and its reflection, and the refraction and decomposition of light into the colours of the rainbow.

Yet, the truth is rather greyer; and I feel it important to point out that, certainly in the field of optics, Newton himself stood on the shoulders of a giant who lived 700 years earlier.

For, without doubt, another great physicist, who is worthy of ranking up alongside Newton, is a scientist born in AD 965 in what is now Iraq who went by the name of al-Hassan Ibn al-Haytham.

Most people in the West will never have even heard of him.

As a physicist myself, I am quite in awe of this man's contribution to my field, but I was fortunate enough to have recently been given the opportunity to dig a little into his life and work through my recent filming of a three-part BBC Four series on medieval Islamic scientists.

Mod note: Copyrighted material; much has been snipped. Entire story is at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/science/nature/7810846.stm

Edited by swansont
Trimmed copyrighted material

• 2 weeks later...