About Dos......

albertlee

I have few problems about the file types of Dos......

For .bat, We can likely "program" it using Dos command lines, but I see some other .bat file not using Dos command, but somehow looks like using C language.....it really makes me confused......Can anybody give me some help?

Secondly, my Dos book teaches me some important dos files, which are .bat, .exe, .com, and .dat, but no .sys..... Can anybody tell me what is .sys and what is the relationship/difference of .sys and .bat (since both use command line)

thirdly, there are some file types that are not useful in Dos, but in Windows, they are .ini and .dll, what are they? I know nothing about them, but I want some concept about them.....

Any body?

Apreciate

in a nutshell:

.ini's are configuration info. there's 2 types. win.ini and sys.ini

basically they tell how to interlace hardware with software or vice-versa. these files are only found in win95-me. in nt3.0-xp, registry handles this task

and .ini's are useful in dos

.dll - dynamic link libriary these work with i/o's and memory management and irq's or interrupts.

.sys - system file - aka device driver or dev_conf info

.bat - batch files - these provide a convinient little scrypt that does something automatically

can i ask you a question, why are you programing in dos? the winNT-XP don't even have one, so what's the purpose of programing on an archaic system?

its quite stable, no real crashing or anything. The only problem is that it isn't very compatibe with Win XP, you need to run in compatibility mode, and use different software to hear sounds and all that (that is, if it is a game)

can i ask you a question, why are you programing in dos? the winNT-XP don't even have one, so what's the purpose of programing on an archaic system

Actually, it does have one. It is the command prompt. Its like a version of dos, but based on Win XP. Although, its not like the real DOS

its quite stable, no real crashing or anything. The only problem is that it isn't very compatibe with Win XP, you need to run in compatibility mode, and use different software to hear sounds and all that (that is, if it is a game)

like i said, it's quite archaic.

Actually, it does have one. It is the command prompt. Its like a version of dos, but based on Win XP. Although, its not like the real DOS

yeah and the only way to get in there is to boot the pc with a boot disk.

while i appreciate the computers 101 lessons, it's one i've leaned a decade ago or so. - not trying to be rude or sarcastic ;)

my point was, if he is trying to program for a Dos-like system, why not use something more modern such as Linux or Unix - someting that may actually be more beneficial, that is?

my point was, if he is trying to program for a Dos-like system, why not use something more modern such as Linux or Unix - someting that may actually be more beneficial, that is?

*cringe* Be very careful how you compare Dos and Unix. Sure, the command line in Unix, as in Dos, is used much more than it is in Windows, but it is also a hell of a lot more powerful than Dos. (You also get the benefit of choosing which of several different command line shells your script uses, so you can choose if you want to have that extra power or not.) It's important that the right impression comes across, here. ;)

Well, the real point is not that I want to program under dos......I just wonder in the .bat file, there are some "words", which are not dos commands.......And i was thinking that they look like C language.........

One of the word i saw is : Errorlevel....Which is not a command or anything related to Dos....Maybe it is part of C language......Well I dont know....

Any way, what kind of codes in .bat file are they? which are not dos commands.....

Well' date=' the real point is not that I want to program under dos......I just wonder in the .bat file, there are some "words", which are not dos commands.......And i was thinking that they look like C language.........

One of the word i saw is : Errorlevel....Which is not a command or anything related to Dos....Maybe it is part of C language......Well I dont know....

[i']Any way, what kind of codes in .bat file are they?[/i] which are not dos commands.....

i'm almost 100% sure it's not C nor Pascal, but perhaps qBasic?

Ok.....The "words" that are not really dos commands must be indentical to the shell of Dos: command.com.............so, I think that they must be some kind of programming language that was used to make MS-DOS............

So, what is the programming language that is used to make MS-DOS (except for assembly/machine language)?

Any body?