Covalent Bonds

astrogirl15

The compound Ammonia is made up of one Nitrogen, and 3 Hydrogen.

On the periodic table I see that Nitrogen has 7 protons, and 7 electrons. I also see that each Hydrogen has 1 proton, and 1 electron.

I am told that Ammonia is held together through a Covelant Bond. My question is: how does this work?

My only guess is that Nitrogen has 6 electrons in its 1st electron cloud, and only 1 in its 2nd. This would make it want more, correct? Also Hydrogen only has 1. This would make it want more correct?

Please clerify this if you can. :(

nitrogen only has 2 electrons in its first electron shell(as this is all that will fit in the first one.) there are 5 in the second shell and to be stable it 'needs' to gain 3 electrons.

as there are only 2 electrons to fit in the first shell(of any atom) and hydrogen has 1 it needs to gain another to be stable.

so, the nitrogen wants to share 3 and hydrogen wants to share for 1. as you have 3 hydrogens, everything is good.

it is a little more complicated than this in reality but from the sound of your post i don't think you have covered orbitals(s,p,d,f orbitals) yet.

• 4 weeks later...
The compound Ammonia is made up of one Nitrogen, and 3 Hydrogen.

On the periodic table I see that Nitrogen has 7 protons, and 7 electrons. I also see that each Hydrogen has 1 proton, and 1 electron.

I am told that Ammonia is held together through a Covelant Bond. My question is: how does this work?

My only guess is that Nitrogen has 6 electrons in its 1st electron cloud, and only 1 in its 2nd. This would make it want more, correct? Also Hydrogen only has 1. This would make it want more correct?

Please clerify this if you can. :(

I have tried to explain in with a diagram, i hope this will help

chem answer.jpg