ZnO from Zn and 3% H2O2 solution?

Flashman

Hi folks,

I need (I think) some zinc oxide in a hurry, I've got zinc, I can get 3% peroxide solution, how effective would that be in oxidizing zinc? Is it a grind the zinc into it and come back next week kind of thing, or needs heat, or fairly rapid at room temperature, or even not worth bothering with with that low a concentration of peroxide? Is it likely to make a precipitate that can easily be retrieved with a coffee filter or will it be too fine?

Then because I only have a small strip of pure zinc, and disemboweling batteries is messy, how rapidly would 3% solution, hot or cold attack steel? I'm thinking of course of retrieving it from galvanized nails or plate. I guess if it's visibly obvious when the zinc has stopped reacting, then that might work without getting too much rust or rouge in there, but if it attacks the steel quite rapidly, then I guess I might not want to do that.

Thanks for any hints,

Flashman.

Oh...

I actually need to use it in a Sodium Hydroxide solution for a zincate coating bath...

I just realised in looking up dry cell chemistry, that a Zn to ZnO process with hydroxide is used in alkaline batteries...

Now, if I stick Zn and Cu electrodes in NaOH solution and allow current to flow, what copper compounds am I likely to end up with, copper hydroxide, or copper oxide? I understand the ZnO to be soluble in an NaOH solution, so should I be able to filter out the copper compounds? Or should I "bag" the copper electrode in a coffee filter, (Think permeable membrane) so I can just yank it and all the copper compounds out?

Then what's a good way to determine the strength of the remaining hydroxide?