Scuffle between Higgs and Hawking

Amusing row between Higgs and Hawking

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article4727894.ece

somewhat overblown by the London Times reporter, who evidently saw it as a

journalistic opportunity.

Hawking is a great self-publicizer, but despite the name recognition he is not, as far as I know, in line to ever win the Nobel physics prize.

Higgs on the other hand might be considered if LHC or some other colider find Higgs (or Higgses ;) ) particles. You might say that the LHC was built largely for the purpose of finding the particle or set of particles involved in the mass-giving Higgs mechanism. Higgs must feel pretty pleased to see the LHC construction completed. Hawking might not be above feeling a twinge of envy.

So here are these two prominent non-laureates involved in a little verbal back and forth shortly before this year's prize was announced, on the eve so to speak, and the Times made a story.

========================

A good window on the Higgs particle is Frank Wilczek's new book Lightness of Being. It is a serious, and provocative, effort to make the nitty-gritty of deep physics accessible to a broad audience.

Lightness looks like a hit on the physics book market. I'm following how it does:

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36035

Wilczek has more to say than either of the other two about the kind of new physics that could develop from LHC experiment. He seems to me to have as much or more riding on the next few years experiments. (Of course he already has his Nobel but there's always the satisfaction of being right :D )

Edited by Martin

Well, Hawking is right that it would be more "interesting" if there is no Higgs boson,..

I agree! And he's not the only one to point this out, as I recall. People have been saying that for quite a while, if I remember right. It would be a surprise NOT to find Higgs and surprises drive theoretical advance (paraphrasing what you said.)

BTW I understand Hawking will vacate his Lucasian professorship at Cambridge come October 2009 or thereabouts. If his retirement from that position is actually in the works, have you heard anything about what he might be doing thereafter----a move to some other institution?

BTW I understand Hawking will vacate his Lucasian professorship at Cambridge come October 2009 or thereabouts. If his retirement from that position is actually in the works, have you heard anything about what he might be doing thereafter----a move to some other institution?

There was a rumor that he was going to move to the Perimeter Institute.

There was a rumor that he was going to move to the Perimeter Institute.

I heard that rumor, I forget how long ago. Back in September? Then I didn't hear anything more along those lines. So I concluded it was probably just a rumor.