Need some basic motor specs...

Guest staternj

Guest staternj

I need to identify a motor/system that has sufficient capacity to open and close double hung windows at a speed consistent with that at which a person would raise and close them, figure about 16 inches of movement per sec with a maximum range of 18 inches. The apparatus would need to be capable of repeating this operations several times a minute for durations up to about 3 or 4 hours. Any recommendations? This is for a public health research product and I'm a chemist not an engineer so pardon the lack of mechanical fluency in this description. However, I am capable of handling the mechanics once identified.

I know that many sites sell motors, but they are a bit overwhelming in the amount of details provided... Ideally, I'd like info about the type of motor, the recommended horsepower, torque and other specs that are relevant.

Thanks,

Peter

I`ve made window and curtain open/closers before from mid 80`s printer motors (low geared) also EX wheelchair or electric scooter motors work great too :)

set on a timer with micro switch sensors, they can be made to look like there`s "someone home" when you`re on holliday too :)

if this sounds like the kind of thing you`re after, I`ll be happy to explain more when I know the exact details of your project :)

Guest staternj

Thanks for the response and the offer of assistance. I'll tell you what I have so far, which is not that much different than my original posting.

The project in question is designed to determine how much windows painted with lead-containing paint might contribute to lead dust levels, which is the main way kids are exposed to lead and develop lead poisoning. I'm relatively close to Newark, NJ and the City has a significant problem with poisoned kids. For the project, we'll be setting up shop in a delinquent apartment that is scheduled for demolition in the foreseeable future. While the residence hasn't been identified yet, let's assume that electricity is available, typically 120 volt service here in the States.

The speed at which the windows open and close has to be consistent with the way a human would do it: it's the abrasion of one painted surface against another that typically causes the release of lead dust. I'm looking to automate the window process for two reasons: first is approximate reproducibility. While the way that a window opens varies from episode to episode, the rate and speed is fairly consistent. Secondly, the window is going to be equipped with a simulated air flow of filtered air to emulate a breeze from outside. Standing in front of the window while opening and closing it repeatedly will result in an obstruction that will alter the deposition pattern of the dust on the interior floor from which dust wipe samples will be collected. And finally, opening and closing a window up to 200 times consecutively is quite boring... By the way, the repeated opening and closing simulates the activity that will occur over a defined period of time. Assuming that folks open and close a window once per day, 90 cycles of opening and closing could simulate 3 months worth of activity.

As stated earlier, the range of motion probably needs to be between 12 and 16 inches total. The speed of the process needs to be about 16 inches per second and have the ability to repeat the up/down cycle at least three times per minute for as long as two three hours. Depending on the design, we're basically looking at two motors here: one above the window to pull up and one below the window to pull down. I imagine that some type of sensor or switch could be installed at two set points on the window frame to stop the up and down motion at a fixed point. Is there some way that each motor can be disengaged after pulling the sash each way so that the second motor can reverse the motion without being damaged or damaging the first motor?

While perusing the internet, I looked at some linear actuators. The particular type that I looked at consisted of a motor mounted on a track. It caught my attention since fixing the motor to the window sash and fastening the ends of the track along which it moved inside the window frame seemed to offer a more stable arrangement with only one motor. However, the firm that I spoke with suggested a price of around $3000 US dollars for one window, which seemed a bit steep. I'd like to see if this can be done at a more reasonable expense, say between $500 and $1000 per window...

That's about all that I have right know. What additional information would you need to complete the picture?

Thanks a lot,

Peter

Montclair, NJ

the tracks off an old moving bed photocopier sound ideal in this instance, I have a pair here and they have an 18 inch travel on them. then all you`ll need would be the electric window motor, gearing and runner out of an old car (most junk yards have some like that), you`ll be happy to note that the entire arrangement comes as a complete unit :)

and ofen include the cutout switches at either end too, all you`ll need then will be a few screws and a 12 volt power supply, the rest is history :)