Lmms

Realitycheck

Ok, so let's see here. I've been trying to use this really cool multimedia sound studio, LMMS, for months, here and there and I finally have some time to my hands. Ubuntu, my distro, has not updated LMMS to most current 4.x for who knows how long, at least not through Synaptic package manager. Probably has something to do with the fact that 4.x uses a radically new architecture, which is leading me to Sidux distro,which looks like the best distro to accommodate sound and multimedia recording environment. From screenshots, Linux Multi Media Studio is looking more and more like Fruity Loops, which has some realllllly powerful tools, as long as you keep paying more and more and more.

All weekend, I have been trying to build the latest LMMS from source, but Synaptic just seems so much more right. Complicating things is that LMMS 4.x requires CMAKE 2.6, of which Ubuntu cmake is also still obsolete. So I have been trying to build CMAKE from source, as well, and it is just not working.

Add all of this to the fact that I have been trying to figure out a way to install a distro without a burner at the same time, since my burner is broken, though I have a backup player. Found a really cool installer at http://www.wubi-installer.org sp? , but not sure if it worked since I already have the same version distro installed, ubuntu.8.04. Anybody know of any surefire ways to copy from mirror to hard disk, then install to ntsf partition? That is essentially what wubi does, but only ubuntu offers it. Looks like something in the future, perhaps. I can always format that first, just converting the .iso installation to hard disk, possibly crossing partitions, sounds kind of tricky. Not sure what format to use either, ext3 or reiserfs.

Edited by agentchange