Microbe Identification & Experiments

DeoxyriboNucleicAcid

A few questions:

Does anyone know of some good sites for identifying common microbes and bacterium, in their colonies??? Most anything will help:) And, yes, I am aware that there are billions of microbes and bacterium out there.

Also, if i were to clone an interesting colony (by swabing the colony, and putting it on a new petri dish,) are there any interesting, and relatively easy experiments that I could do with it (the cloned colony(s)). Yes, I know it is very open ended, but I will be glad to hear all of your ideas, and get data for all of you :)

(for eample, maybe i could clone two colonies. I could introduce one colony to a dish, and wait for it to establish, and then introduce another colonie's clone, and see how they interact/ merge/ fight?)

A fairly interesting test, if you have any hydrogen peroxide, is to put a drop on a microscope slide and then take a sample of a colony and add it to the drop. Bacteria that produce the enzyme catalase break down the hydrogen peroxide and this will produce bubbles in the drop.