g forces

Astronautical

Many questions, no introduction, sounds like homework in a rush to me.

"g-force (also G-force, g-load) is a measurement of an object's acceleration expressed in gs." (click for wikipedia!)

But... I think you have an answer to your first question if I just rephrase it:

Given the fact that gravity acceleration (is a g force, by definition) keeps us firmly stuck to the surface of the earth, how does it inhibit us from going up-up-and-away? (Note: the answer is in the question).

You can handle g-forces by sleeping in your bed (experience the 1 G). You can pull up in your car at a traffic light (experience the 1.2 G or so). Perhaps take a roller coaster to find out about the 3 G, or sometimes negative -1 G)... Handling is generally done by just sitting it out. (To be honest, I don't understand the question).

For the last question: read the definition (see top of this post)... and then think when astronauts are feeling acceleration... you can answer it yourself I think.

Many questions, no introduction, sounds like homework in a rush to me.

"g-force (also G-force, g-load) is a measurement of an object's acceleration expressed in gs." (click for wikipedia!)

But... I think you have an answer to your first question if I just rephrase it:

Given the fact that gravity acceleration (is a g force, by definition) keeps us firmly stuck to the surface of the earth, how does it inhibit us from going up-up-and-away? (Note: the answer is in the question).

You can handle g-forces by sleeping in your bed (experience the 1 G). You can pull up in your car at a traffic light (experience the 1.2 G or so). Perhaps take a roller coaster to find out about the 3 G, or sometimes negative -1 G)... Handling is generally done by just sitting it out. (To be honest, I don't understand the question).

For the last question: read the definition (see top of this post)... and then think when astronauts are feeling acceleration... you can answer it yourself I think.

No.

=]

I am just trying to get some basic information for a science fair project I am working on months ahead of time.

Just want to see some some responses here while I research.

I mean like what steps have been taken to deal with the g forces in space?

Or are they not that extreme?

One of my ideas that I am brainstorming about is developing something that will deal with any way that g forces inhibit space travel of any sort.

It is kind of broad so I am trying to figure out what has a lready been done and if it is really even a problem on any degree of space travel.

The problem of g-forces, let's just call them forces, as a g-force is just a unit, and space travel is mostly to do with launch and reentry to a certain extent but fricition is a bigger issue there, the accelerations are immense for a launch.

I know that certain atomic clocks can't be used on GPS satellites because they are too fragile and wont get damaged, other than that what do people normally do to counter excess forces? Lock things down and build em strong...

You might be thinking of overall forces exerted on a vehicle, but some of the most damaging are oscillatory, impulse, or just random.

Impulse forces inherent in the explosive bolts used during separation of stages is a factor in designing components for launch payloads.

The random forces inducing vibration from the lift stages are another source.

These forces can also play havoc with guidance and control instumentation.

Maybe the JPL web site talks about this stuff.

How do they inhibit space travel?

Man and unmanned?

What are current methods of handling g forces?

When are g forces experienced in space travel(only when leaving the atmosphere?)?

Thanks.

Current methods of handling g forces...I saw a program where they designed a suit that would help deal with g forces. What it did was squeeze blood from the legs into the upper body. When high g forces are reached, blood tends to leave the upper body and brain, causing people to pass out. The suit manage to ensure that blood stayed in the upper body.

Current methods of handling g forces...I saw a program where they designed a suit that would help deal with g forces. What it did was squeeze blood from the legs into the upper body. When high g forces are reached, blood tends to leave the upper body and brain, causing people to pass out. The suit manage to ensure that blood stayed in the upper body.

G suites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_suit