what kind of RAM can I buy?

hermanntrude

I want to upgrade my fairly old computer by doubling its RAM from 512 Mb to 1Gb. I don't know what the motherboard is and i'm not sure how to find out without opening the box and reading it off the board itself. I'm vaguely aware that there is probably more than just one kind of RAM available and the last tiem I did this was about 8 years ago on another computer.

any advice?

i think CPU-Z can tell you what RAM you currently have. just buy some sticks similar to that.

PC-xxxx or PC2-xxxx most likely PC means you DDR RAM PC2 means you want DDR2.

if you can find the model of your motherboard from there then check the specs for the best speed it can take and get that as it will improve the performance. and as RAM is cheap just now you might consider upping it to 2GB.

OK so CPU-Z did what I needed.

I now know I need DDR-RAM, and that my maximum bandwidth is PC-3200 at 200MHz

So is there anything else I should know before i just go and buy some? or are there other specs?

what's a good brand, or does that depend on my computer?

If you buy RAM with higher frequency it will work, just at the lower frequency. You do, however, run the risk of having your existing memory not be able to work in conjunction with your new memory. For this reason people often replace all the memory in their computer rather than just adding a stick or two. In fact you run this risk even if all the numbers are the same but the memory just comes from a different manufacturer (though you shouldn't -- that's what the numbers are for).

It's always a bit of a roll of the dice with memory upgrades. The technology just changes too fast.

yep. that should be the case. and it should probably work though you would be better off buying 2 of the faster chips. so you'd have 2GB for not much more cost and it would be faster than the 1.5GB and possibly the 1GB on its own depending on your motherboard architecture.