How is it that dehydration can cause BPH Symptoms?

I read recently that it is possible that if a person does not drink enough water over a long period of time (I'm not talking about "dying of thirst" dehydration, just much less than the recommended amount of water) it can lead to symptoms which mimic that of medical conditions involving an enlarged prostate, specifically urinary retention and difficulty urinating (i.e. having to strain.)

I just can't figure out what not drinking enough could have to do with urinary retention, I mean if you don't drink a lot you obviously won't have to go to the bathroom as often, but I'm stymied as to how it would cause enlarged prostate symptoms, the only thing I could think of is that it somehow triggers your body to try and conserve as much water as it can.

Any clarification on this would be appreciated.

I just can't figure out what not drinking enough could have to do with urinary retention, I mean if you don't drink a lot you obviously won't have to go to the bathroom as often, but I'm stymied as to how it would cause enlarged prostate symptoms, the only thing I could think of is that it somehow triggers your body to try and conserve as much water as it can.

Water retention by the kidneys is probably a bigger deal than you realize. Dehydration is very dangerous not only because water is vital for biochemical processes, but the kidneys need to be able to control the amount of water in order to maintain proper blood pressure. As a result, dehydration can have profound effects on many body systems.