Big number!

Gareth56

well, on a pocket calculator the short answer is, you don't. it will return '0' if it doesn't give you an error.

on a computer you may be able to find a program that will give you an answer.

I see. I ask because in my book Chemistry in Context it states the following calculation fo entropy:-

S = k lnW where W is the number above and k is Boltzman's constant and the answer given is 0.096J/K

well then where dit the first calculation come from?

boltzman constant is 1.4*10^-23 J/K. a much more manageable number

this gives S = ln(2) * 1.4*10^-23 which is 9.7*10-24 J/K

Which is several ordersof magnitude smaller then 0.096J/K Could the 10^22 come into it somewhere.

The whole calculation is S = 1.4 x 10^-23J/K x ln2^10^22 = 0.096J/K

The whole calculation is S = 1.4 x 10^-23J/K x ln2^10^22

that would. assuming the last term is ln(2^10^22). wait, n/m my calculator is messing up on it. gave me three different values.

okay, one quick hand calculation(done in crayon on my wall :D) shows its 0.097J/K This is why machines will never trump humans, the inability to do entropy calculations with a quick scribble on the wall :P.

Edited by insane_alien
multiple post merged

that would. assuming the last term is ln(2^10^22). wait, n/m my calculator is messing up on it. gave me three different values.

okay, one quick hand calculation(done in crayon on my wall :D) shows its 0.097J/K This is why machines will never trump humans, the inability to do entropy calculations with a quick scribble on the wall :P.

So ow do you do it. :)

Baring in mind that ln2^10^22 is the natural log of 2 raised to the power of 10 to the 22.

well, there are certain little tricks you can use when dealing with logarithms that really cuts down on the size of 2^10^22.

such as ln(x^y) =y*ln(x) where we can simplify to (10^22)*ln(2)

then multiply by 1.4*10^-23 so we get 1.4*10^(-1) * ln(2) which equals 0.14*ln(2) plug that into a calculator and you have your answer.