Directive Therapy?

I took a second job at a juvenile facility and the program works on something called "directive therapy". Now, in the 5 years prior I'd worked in this field, I have never come across this. Has anyone else heard of it? Opinions about it vs. other forms of therapy?

Directive therapy basically means to direct, or guide someone, according to the counselor's and/or the group's own value system or experience. It is particularly useful for people who have very low self-esteem or people who are not able to recognize or solve their own problems (mental or otherwise) by themselves. It can be quite limiting though, and even dangerous if overused as they might be more susceptible to dogma.

Ok, that's what I thought. From what I've seen so far, the facility is very impersonal in how it treats the juveniles and that's majorly different than every other juvenile center I've worked at. I'll try and give a basic rundown of how the facility works and see what you think.

The facility has three units...1) court ordered juvies w/mild retardation, 2) a unit where the family pays for their stay (outpatient?), 3) a sex offender unit. Most of the residents are there for approximately 7 mos based on how they adapt and move through the program. The residents are taught to be reintegrated into society and have their behavior changed through learning impulse control.

In effect, if a resident acts out, the behavior is first brought to their attention. The resident is only able to respond with "thank you sir/ma'am" and cannot ask questions why, nor are staff to explain why the behavior was wrong or even how they should be going about to correct it. Allegedly, the reason behind not explaining or asking about problems is to allow the resident to deal with frustrations better.

I have a problem with this because, most juveniles need justification which is part of their natural learning process. I feel cutting them off from that justification only creates more frustration with an individual already having problems with impulse control which in turn would make them more likely to act out further.

Anyway, if a resident continues to act out, he's told he is "leaking his feelings" and needs to "get a grip" and again must respond with a simple "thank you sir/ma'am". Again, no guidance or explanation is to be given from the staff to help the resident get a grip on their feelings. In essence it seems like it's the equivalent of telling a 3 year old in a tantrum to just "suck it up" and then walking away.

I've attempted to, after correcting a resident's behavior, take them to one side and explain what they did wrong and how to correct it. The residents will look at me like I'm nuts saying, "Mr. ****, you can't do it that way." Meaning, as direct staff, I cannot provide guidance by explaining, giving examples, etc.

On top of all this, the residents are allowed to "pull up", meaning to redirect behavior, the staff if they cause an infraction such as when I was absentmindedly leaning against a door frame. I know the staff lead by example but, that's rediculous.

Please, someone in psychology/psychiatry give me your thoughts on all of this. After 5 years in this field, I've never come across anything like it and frankly, it's insane.

Years ago, I worked for a very short time for an agency that used a similar approach with problem adolescents. They used a token system with points, etc. Behaviorism. I think it was a system that was used successfully with the developmentally disabled, and they were trying to use it with problem teenagers. I hated it. It's the only job I ever just quit and walked off. It just wasn't my style. I also observed the increase in the levels of frustration. I didn't think it was effective in the long run, or safe. I prefer a more client-centered approach where change is initiated by developing a level of trust and mutual respect. .

How's this for “Directive Therapy”? GET OUT OF THAT EFFIN PLACE!!!