About Metallic bonding...........

albertlee

Siple as the title......... WHY ONLY PURE METALS USE THIS KIND OF BONDING?

What is so special about the characteristics of pure Metals due to this kind of bonding? since why the non-Metals cannot use this type of bonding.....? :eek:

thx for the responds

It's basically because metal atoms pack in close together in solids, so close they are contact with maybe a dozen other metal atoms. They don't have enough valence electrons to form bonds with all these other atoms, so their electrons flit between the surrounding atoms, and you get your cliched 'sea of electrons'.

It's basically because metal atoms pack in close together in solids, so close they are contact with maybe a dozen other metal atoms. They don't have enough valence electrons to form bonds with all these other atoms, so their electrons flit between the surrounding atoms, and you get your cliched 'sea of electrons'.

and so, they conduct electricity and heat very well

:) correct aommaster, and the metalic bonding in transition elements is due to involving the 3d electrons in the delocalisation as well as the 4s. The more electrons you can involve, the stronger the attractions tend to be.

So...... why does pure metal almost always stay in solid? if other non-metals also stays in solid, and dont have valence electrons, either..Wont the non-metals also apply to metallic bonding?

Any help?

Cheers

ah......semi-metals.

This i guessing is like ceramics,graphite?(with metallic bonding) thats how they are making room temp superconductors

The 3d orbital is also responsible for their lustre

aommaster, I know, the metallic bonding is only for metals, but i am just asking why pure metals can stay in solid, which means have such high melting anf boiling point? I think it is not the matter of bonding anymore, metals just have high melting and boiling points themselves......... I think that is also another best way to identify metals, having high melting point,using not covalent bonding................

Any help?

well, that is to do with the strength of the bonds. Molecular covalent bonds are weak, that is why the substances that have them have low melting and boiling points. The metallic bonds are strong bonds, causing high melting and boiling points

Ok, AOM, As i have said, it is not a matter of bonding anymore here about metal, but is about the elements themselves, which means if, the metals "apply" to covalent bonding, then therefore, they get low melting point..............

Say it more clearly, what cause the metals "apply" to metallic bonding, but not covalent bonding?

Any help?

covalent bonding requries electrons to be 'shared' between atoms. In this case, they cannot share electrons between atoms because the numbers just do not match to make a full outer shell. They could in one way, but, it would take too much energy, and the atoms are too 'lazy' to do so.

Ionic bonding has the same story, they have to give too many electrons or take too many electrons. It just doessn't work

That is where the metallic bonding kicks in

Does that help?

Ask one damn question properly, Metals dont become just single atoms due to a partially filled octet and need bonding(metallic) to complete a full shell.

As for the original question; this is due to the metal atoms not having enough electrons so they are delocalized. the "d" orbital is semi responsible for these properties due to the weird things the "d" orbital can do....

Awnser your question now?