biochemistry vs chemistry

intothevoidx

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the main differences between a biochemistry major vs a chemistry major in terms of difficulty as well as courses taken. I realize biochemistry focuses more on the biology aspect, but does this mean the mathematical concepts of chemistry are not as significant or is biochemistry the same as a chemistry major with added emphasis on biology?

thanks

yeah, my biochem major doesn't focus on math as nearly as my friend's chem major does.

But it depends on the school. I have a pre-health friend who's a chem major, but her school requires them to take biochem anyway... so she's essentially a biochem major minus a few upper division bio classes, like cell bio or genetics.

Are you pre-med, perchance?

Actually, I'm going to be a senior in high school this year. I'll be applying to schools soon. I've been set on biochemistry for a while. I was also possibly planning on applying to medical school and I figured a biochemistry major would be good preparation if I did decide to apply and I wouldn't be stuck with a useless major on the off chance that I did not get into medical school. Do you have a life or are you studying all the time? Heh.

Edited by intothevoidx

Actually, I'm going to be a senior in high school this year. I'll be applying to schools soon. I've been set on biochemistry for a while.

It's no harder than any other science major, I think. Each has there difficult and easy courses. Biochem majors are required to have less math than straight chem majors, at least at my school.

If you think this is what you like, then you should definitely go for it. It's an interesting major, and you get to keep your feet it two different disciplines. (so good prep for MCATs and med school)

I was also possibly planning on applying to medical school and I figured a biochemistry major would be good preparation if I did decide to apply and I wouldn't be stuck with a useless major on the off chance that I did not get into medical school.

It is indeed. But, even if you decide not to go to med school, or can't get in, there's plenty you can do with a biochem major. Any other pre-health, grad school leading to academics and/or research or pharmaceuticals, research technician, education, science journalism, the business side of biotech or biomed (lots of industry in this field). You have lots of options.

As for myself, I'm going for an MD/PhD program, depending how well I do on the MCATs in august.

Do you have a life or are you studying all the time? Heh.

When you actually take your biochem class it can get pretty tough. I, myself, didn't do so well. But, until you take organic chemistry, the intro bio and chem classes aren't too bad. Even orgo was easy if you put the time in (which is what I didn't do for biochem).

I still have plenty time for research, extra-cirrics, and a girlfriend, scienceforums, but I never seem to be too overworked, except around exam time.

If you're a high-acheiving pre-med student, then yeah, you're not going to have a lot of a social life. But, you certainly can have fun, do well in classes and get into med school.

So, you might not get into an Ivy Leaguer, but who cares. IMO, why sacrifice your social needs into order to get into a competitive med school, where you will once again have no social life?

You can make a living and become a great doctor going to less competitive schools, and actually enjoy your life while doing it. That's just my opinion anyway.

I'm ranked 11/183 in my class, which isn't anything extraordinary. I definitely won't be getting into any ivy league schools. I only scored 1240 (590 on math 650 on verbal) on my SATs so nothing special there either. I tend to do much better in school than I do on standardized tests however. So I don't think I'm necessarily ruled out for medical school if I put in the effort. I'm not someone who will study until they go blind though.

Edited by intothevoidx

Won't get into medical school or won't get into an ivy league school? I don't really have any desire to get into an ivy league school. I'm not going to kill myself attempting to get into one either. If I have the opportunity however, I would still apply. If I wasn't ambitious I wouldn't be thinking about medical school at all.:cool: I'm more concerned with getting into college at the moment more than anything.

Won't get into medical school or won't get into an ivy league school?

either one, though you have plenty of time for the former.

I don't really have any desire to get into an ivy league school. I'm not going to kill myself attempting to get into one either. If I have the opportunity however, I would still apply. If I wasn't ambitious I wouldn't be thinking about medical school at all.:cool: I'm more concerned with getting into college at the moment more than anything.

I was ranked about the same as you in high school (actually a little lower), thought admittedly my SATs were better. Still, you seem in good shape to get into some State school, or a smaller private school. Once there, you have a clean slate for med school (and I do mean ANY med school).

You probably still have time to retake your SATs if you want. If you apply broadly enough, it probably won't matter, though.