Joomla 1.0 and 1.5 Module/Component Programming

mooeypoo

Hey guys,

I recently had to get into Joomla! and it's quite okay for certain purposes. The new 1.5 version is a bit more versatile than the 1.0 but still isn't fully supporting all the previous modules and components out there.

I had to deal with a certain module that handles event listing and I found it lacking a certain (VERY important for my use) feature. I know PHP/mySQL and I know - relatively well - how joomla works, but I couldn't find any good tutorials (over the silly 'hello world' ones) that explain how to write modules or components, or how to expand existing ones.

Specifically, I'm looking for the correct way to have the module communicate with the database, and that can't be done "simply" in PHP, it need to use joomla-functions, because different people chosen different presets for their table names (like "jos_table" or whatever else).

Anyone knows anything about this? Any good joomla tutorials? Either 1.0 or 1.5 (as far as I understand, they're completely different, but I deal with both, so don't QUITE mind which to start with).

~moo

with 1.5 I don't know

There used to be a good tutorial on their website but it seems they're in the process of rewriting all their documentation so it's not there any more. Try downloading a simple extension and pulling it to pieces to see how it's done.