What kind of research can you do with astrocytes and cytokines... ?

I don't know if this is the right place to post; I actually just registered in hopes of finding someone who might know this.

I asked to do research in a lab on molecular operations of astrocyte ion channels and transporters, and cytokines and gp120 in AIDS dementia complex. The thing is, I didn't know I had to come up with the project myself. I thought I would basically be assisting the professor with his own research, but I'm pretty sure now I have to come up with something to do on my own, with him supervising.

I have to make an appt. to meet him (I just emailed him), but I want to have some idea of what I want to do before then. The advisor told me to find someone w/similar research interests to work with...and I KNOW that's what his lab is working on. I can't put it off anymore... I'm getting near the end and I have to do something finally.

Does anyone know a decent project to have in mind for this?

Thanks for anything.

I don't know that much myself, but you should take a look through pubmed, and the specific area your mentor is working on. That'll help you learn the material, and pay attention to areas where there seems to be a gap in the knowledge. You probably won't have to design an experiment yet, for your first meeting, but at least be aware of what areas need work.

• 3 weeks later...

Luckily the literature is loaded with astrocyte centered research topics. Take about a solid week to familiarize yourself with the current approaches (try reviews first) and then crank out an idea from there. Glial research is hot right now so this should be fairly easy.