Automotive Engineering and Computer Science?

zephyrus17

I'm debating whether or not to take the Automotive Engineering and Computer Science double degree, or just the engineering part alone.

Most of the subjects taught in Computer Science will be Algorithms, Java, Operating Systems, Data Structures, etc. How much Computer Science of this sort is used in Engineering?

Given the extent that computers are utilized in the auto industry. I don't think you can go wrong with it. If you end up as a design engineer, you won't do much programming. A lot depends on what you want to do with your education and where your interests lie.

I'm not in automotive engineering, but aerospace. My job does not require that I know diddly about programming. However, since i've been programming since the Commodore was out, I have a pretty good grasp on it with no real formal education. I use it pretty regularly to make our jobs easier, scripts, databases, office automation. I gives me an edge in the machine shop too. I can figure out how those crazy machines are programmed much easier than someone with no computer background.

BTW, at my college, they wouldn't let me double major in Engineering and CS, I tried! So I stuck with Engineering only.

If you like CS and Engineering, go for them both.