playing with Matches!

YT2095

LOL, during my lunch break, sitting here a bit bored, I was pondering about what to do with some of the Red Phosphorus I`de made a week or so earlier, I figured I`de have a go at making my own Match :)

4 parts Potassium Chlorate

1 part sulpher

1 part Red Phosphorus

1 part Dextrin (as the binder)

all are in VERY fine powder form, I put them in a watch glass and mixed them thouroughly, being VERY carefull of any friction! never make more than half a gram at a time.

add a drop of water and stir until it becomes a paste, dip your peices of wood in it and get a good coating on one end, allow to dry (I used a warm air blower for speed). then you need some sand paper, a very fine mesh 600 I used.

when 100% dry, rub along the paper gently, they work great !!!

this is only a simple recipe but non the less dangerous! so be very carefull and gently with this mix, it`s quite safe when a paste but when dry it can ignite without reason, hence no more than half a gram as a time.

Enjoy! :)

indeed it is! however, it`s considerably less fun :)

also, if you use the ratio:

3 parts Potassium Chlorate

1 part sulpher

1 part dextrin

and do the procedure as stated in post #1 it`ll be a little safer, but you`ll have to use the side of a safety mathes box to light them, but it still works :))

Cap'n Refsmmat said in post # :

If you use more potassium chlorate, could it be a "strike anywhere" match?

if you follow the 1`st recipe, then yes

but you DON`T need need more oxidiser (KClO3) that would make it useless and the end would drop off as the wood charcoal got oxidised, just follow the recipe. there`s nothing more you can do to improve it as it stands by adding more oxidiser.

recipe #1 is already a perfect "stike anywhere" match :)

although you MAY wish to dip the wood in a hot parafin wax 1`st and let that soak in a little.

but no Cap, leave recipe #1 as it is, I`ve fired up 5 matches perfectly and without fail (it is a little faster burn than shop bought however!), but as yet seems to be flawless :)

• 9 months later...

Say you were in the middle of no where. How would you go about making matches?

I read you can get white phosphorus from urine. Is the phosphorus supposed to be kept under water so it doesn't mix with air?

If you burned bones, could you get phosphorus?

extracting wp from urine is very difficult. if you burn finely divided bones with finely divided silicon dioxide and finely divided carbon, then heated this mixture in a furnace at very high temperatures you would form calcium silicate, carbon monoxide/dioxide and gaseous white phosphorus. of course, the wp oxidizes, so you need to do this in a pure nitrogen or inert atmosphere

Well, in that case all you would have to do is collect your piss in a bucket for a few days. Then let it dry out and 'process' itself until it becomes rancid. Then take that pasty, rancid urine and cook it with some pure carbon. (A.K.A. charcoal). While this is going on, you should have a distillation apparatus so that the white phosphorus that is formed will collect inside a separate vial.