New Political Angles in Iraq (and New Violence)

Pangloss

It's been interesting to watch what's been happening in Iraq this week, in part because what's mainly been happening is actually Shi'a versus Shi'a, with Sunni (relatively) quietly watching from the sidelines. The al-Maliki government is mostly Shi'a, but it's been demanding that the militias in the South step down and turn in their weapons, which local leaders like Moqtada al-Sadr don't want to do.

Interestingly, today al-Sadr told his forces to stand down and cease fire. This may have something to do with the fact that Iran has apparently closed its border, which may indicate support for the government over groups like al-Sadr's.

In a funny sort of way this may actually represent political progress. Not the violence earlier in the week, mind you, but the Iranian support for the government and al-Sadr appearing to, once again, see the larger benefits of Shi'a control and step back from the brink.

On the other hand, the violence has threatened to undermine the progress in other areas, and al-Sadr's new cease fire may not extend to an agreement to actually work with the government.

What do you all think?

Al-Sadr's not precisely the problem as much as splinter groups off of Sadr's Madhi Army are (I know what Madhi means now, by the way. It means "chosen one" and refers to a figure in Shia mythology who is supposed to come and bring justice to the Dar-al-Islam. Yay Karen Armstrong.)

Well, I suppose he might be a problem in the long term, but he's not principally responsible for the current violence.

That's interesting, I hadn't heard that one.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that loophole in Islamic law where ANYBODY can be the Messiah. In this case, he just happens to have that in his name ... and he is not necessarily required to turn water to wine on demand.

I wonder why all of these top guys keep trying to blame Iran on Iraq. It would seem that they are simply guilty of not keeping their borders closed and not controlling their missile stock adequately. I know, given Ahmanijdad's propensity to hurl giant threats right before Nasrallah's barrage-fest, there really is no excuse. Why does he hate Israel so much???? Still, I see them as "trying" on the Iraqi front. At least now there is a little evidence of it. :)

Yeah, I forgot to mention that loophole in Islamic law where ANYBODY can be the Messiah. In this case, he just happens to have that in his name ... and he is not necessarily required to turn water to wine on demand.

Mahdi's not actually in al-Sadr's name, I don't believe. It's just an allusion. The original Mahdi was Hussein who led a Shia revolt against the Caliphate back in the Umayyad Dynasty because he thought it was too corrupt.

If that's what you were talking about.

A few details I did not know about.

the Mahdi (مهدي transliteration: Mahdī, also Mehdi; "Guided One") is the prophesied redeemer of Islam who will stay on earth seven, nine, or nineteen years (depending on the interpretation[1]) before the coming of the day, Yaum al-Qiyamah (literally "Day of the Resurrection" or "Day of the Standing").[2] Most, or many, Muslims believe the Mahdi will restore righteousness and change the world into a perfect and just Islamic society alongside Jesus. The concept of Mahdi is not explicitly mentioned in the Qu'ran, but there are many hadith (traditional sayings of Muhammad) on the Mahdi. (Possibly because the Sunnis control the content of the official Qu'ran?)

References

1. ^ Encyclopedia of Islam and the Muslim World, Thompson Gale, (2004), p.421

The coming of the Mahdi is a disputed notion within Sunnis.

The Mahdi, according to Shi'ite tradition, will arise at some point before the day of judgement, institute a kingdom of justice, and will in the last days fight alongside the returned Isa Al-Maseeh (Jesus) against the Dajjal, the Antichrist of Islam.

Over the course of history, there have been several individuals who have declared themselves to be the Mahdi prophesied in Islam. Similar to the notion of a Messiah in the Judeo-Christian religions, the notion of a Mahdi as a redeemer to establish a society has lent itself to various interpretations leading to different claims within minorities or by individuals within Islam.

The first historical recorded reference to a movement using the name of Mahdi is al-Mukhtar's rebellion against the Umayyid Caliphate in 686, almost 50 years after Muhammad's death. Al-Mukhtar claimed that Ibn al-Hanifiya, a son of the fourth Caliph Ali (the first Imam of Shi'ite), was the Mahdi who would save the Muslim people from the unjust rule of the Umayyids. Ibn al-Hanifiya was not actively involved in the rebellion, and when the Umayyids successfully quashed it, they left him undisturbed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahdi