Electron transport chain

amaysa

Hello,

I have a question on ETC.... What types of differences are there between electron transport chains present in photosynthesis reactions and those which take part in aerobic respiration? A detailed response comparing significant distinctions between the two would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

amaysa

Well, in photosynthesis an electron must first be exited by light to gain energy, then it falls down the ETC and the cell can harness the energy that was given off (complicated explanation in between). In cellular respiration the electrons are being dropped off by carriers at the ETC, with O1/2 sitting at the bottom of the chain, pulling at the dropped off electrons as they drop down the chain. That's one of the many differences

stretching my memory all the way back to last semester's biochem class... I think some of the the electron carriers are different also.

Quinone and cytochrome C in mitochrondrion. Plastoquinone and ferredoxin in chloroplasts. You may want to wait for conformation before quoting me on that one, though.