How to make jelled methanol

Prem Jalani

Dear sir

I want to make jelled methanol. How i am do this. please help about this.

prem jalani

Hi Prem, First of all you don't have to be too formal here. This forum is for friendly discussion. Secondly, why you want to make gel methanol for. Tell me and i shall try to help. Is it for a project you were assigned?

Good day!

Hi Prem, First of all you don't have to be too formal here. This forum is for friendly discussion. Secondly, why you want to make gel methanol for. Tell me and i shall try to help. Is it for a project you were assigned?

Good day!

Hi Mr. siddiqui

Good Morning

i want to make dish warmer fuel jel.Generic name of this product is jelled methanol.this product used by hotel industries & catrers for food warming in parties.This is a low cost product. main ingredients of this product is methanol & water.selling price of finel product is App. 30.00 per Kg.

• 1 year later...

What you have described seems to be 'Sterno' Canned Heat (even generic brands are called Sterno).

Sterno is made from ethanol, methanol, water and an oxide gelling agent

Methanol is only added to make it too toxic to drink (denature).

I found this about making your own..........

Make Your Own Gelled Alcohol Fuel - Canned Heat

Extreme do it yourselfers can make their own gelled fuel at home with by mixing alcohol and calcium acetate (C4H6CaO4).

The following instructions and measurements are from the Montville High School Science Departmental.

1. Add 25g of crushed chalk or egg shells (calcium carbonate-CaCO3) to 100ml of vinegar (water and acetic acid - CH3CO2H) and stir for about 5 minutes.

This should produce carbon dioxide (CO2), calcium acetate (C4H6CaO4) and water (H2O) plus leave you with some left over chalk (CaCO3). If you are guessing on how much chalk to add, just make sure that there is a little extra after 5 minutes of stirring.

2. Remove the excess chalk by filtering your mix through some filter paper (coffee filter or napkin can be used).

Set a funnel in a jar, place your filter in it and pour your suspension through it.

3. Mark the level of your solution in its container and allow your solution to evaporate off about half that volume to remove the excess water.

Place your solution in an oven set on low heat or place it out in the sun to dry. If you went to far - just add the missing water.

Note - if you like, you can dry out your solution completely and store the remaining dried calcium acetate for future use.

4. If your solution isn't already in the container you want your gel in, then pour it in there now.

5. Add 30ml of alcohol (ethanol, methanol, or isopropanol) to your solution and watch the gel form. Do not stir.

6. Once the reaction in complete, pour off any extra fuel.

http://zenstoves.net/Sterno.htm

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Dear sir

want to know the procedure of making ethanol based fuel gel,for warming chifing dish for catters.sidharth jain

DrDNA posted step-by-step instructions on how to make ethanol gel for warming. Look at that post.

• 1 year later...

Dear sir

want to know the procedure of making ethanol based fuel gel,for warming chifing dish for catters.sidharth jain

Making alcohol gel - works for methanol, ethanol and iso-propanol.

Ingredients and %age by weight

1. Carboxy Methyl Cellulose (CMC) 1%

2. Water 39-40%

3. Alcohol 60-61%

Add carboxy methyl cellulose slowly to water little by little allowing the former to mix thoroughly. Adding the entire CMC all at once will cause it to form lump which will be very difficult to dissolve. The result should be a thick paste.

Add alcohol to this paste by gently stirring the mixture. The result would be a combustible gel.

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I ate at a restaurant today and they were using this methanol gel. It was curious that after the waitress started the fire, she poured salt on it to make the reaction intensify. Does anyone know what the reaction between the gel and the salt is?

• 1 year later...
1299360736[/url]' post='593916']

Hey,

I ate at a restaurant today and they were using this methanol gel. It was curious that after the waitress started the fire, she poured salt on it to make the reaction intensify. Does anyone know what the reaction between the gel and the salt is?

The salt was added to allow you to see the flame. That's all. Etoh burns blue which it hard to see, adding the salt causes an impurity which alters the flame color.

The salt was added to allow you to see the flame.

Yeah, I have used Sterno and other such products, and their barely visible flames can cause problems, especially with little kids around. One would think at least one (or more) makers of the cans of jellied alcohols would include an adulterant in the jelly (such as salt) that would automatically produce an markedly visible flame. I haven't come across one yet. It's as if the makers want you to burn your fingers.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 years later...
On 3/5/2009 at 3:28 AM, DrDNA said:

What you have described seems to be 'Sterno' Canned Heat (even generic brands are called Sterno).

Sterno is made from ethanol, methanol, water and an oxide gelling agent

Methanol is only added to make it too toxic to drink (denature).

I found this about making your own..........

Make Your Own Gelled Alcohol Fuel - Canned Heat

Extreme do it yourselfers can make their own gelled fuel at home with by mixing alcohol and calcium acetate (C4H6CaO4).

The following instructions and measurements are from the Montville High School Science Departmental.

1. Add 25g of crushed chalk or egg shells (calcium carbonate-CaCO3) to 100ml of vinegar (water and acetic acid - CH3CO2H) and stir for about 5 minutes.

This should produce carbon dioxide (CO2), calcium acetate (C4H6CaO4) and water (H2O) plus leave you with some left over chalk (CaCO3). If you are guessing on how much chalk to add, just make sure that there is a little extra after 5 minutes of stirring.

2. Remove the excess chalk by filtering your mix through some filter paper (coffee filter or napkin can be used).

Set a funnel in a jar, place your filter in it and pour your suspension through it.

3. Mark the level of your solution in its container and allow your solution to evaporate off about half that volume to remove the excess water.

Place your solution in an oven set on low heat or place it out in the sun to dry. If you went to far - just add the missing water.

Note - if you like, you can dry out your solution completely and store the remaining dried calcium acetate for future use.

4. If your solution isn't already in the container you want your gel in, then pour it in there now.

5. Add 30ml of alcohol (ethanol, methanol, or isopropanol) to your solution and watch the gel form. Do not stir.

6. Once the reaction in complete, pour off any extra fuel.

http://zenstoves.net/Sterno.htm

Dear I have tried to make methanol gel but it is not proper way. It has other composition. Please share here for public learn.