Fact or Fantasy?

foodchain

Basically I would just like to ponder the idea of using genetics along with microbes to produce machines. What I am looking towards I know sounds scientific if not old hat really as far as such is concerned. Really though what bounds would be in the way of engineering on such a level as to what you have may be bioorganic but only just such. I mean brain cells I guess of some type obviously could find use as say computer interfaces are used in modern machinery of various types such as automobiles. I mean if you could produced various microbes that ran various functions from a cyclic point of view going from of course stimulus that it could be preprogrammed for then the defining moment I would think would be obtaining a form of multicellular function. Basically I would think a type of stem cell would be useful, something of a skeleton that can be loaded with instruction really. I think the real use would be in the mastery of such so that you could have it interact with any physical medium. In that you can find very fine tuned activity produced by life, incredibly complex really, so with that in mind you could buy a pack of microbes that are engineered to be planted in the soil which could interact with the medium to build a house, I mean really what would be the limit at that point.

So I guess the big question is really how much could you interact modern molecular realities of say microbes and above, or what could you model them to work with physically and or chemically. I would say if you could unlock that you could program the ultimate green car that even biodegrades back into your garden, or really I would see no limit on the technology if it really could be mastered. I would also think that such a technology giving the realities of life would be the most sensitive or exacting or basically the best technology if it were possible.

From any point of view, be it beauty or the ability to survive intense amounts of radiation and the vacuum of space life has already shown such capability. To be able to master how life evolves or adapts to meat an environment to the point of what an environment in relation to what an organism is I think again that such a technology would basically for the most part be supreme as understanding correctly applied of course barring whatever actually limitations that may exist such theoretically be able to produce anything if evolution is truly open ended.

I don’t want to go off the deep end but in all reality from the atmosphere to the core of a planet I think could be open to being shaped if not controlled really by the possibility of biological influence if physically reality can be programmed into an organism the same way an organism can adapt and overcome.

So you want to make a biodegradable, living vehicle? I think it is definitely possible. I even think I might be able to make one. Below is my suggested design:

718px-Horse_parts.jpg

I suggest you do a literature search on "nanotechnology". That is the area of making molecular machines -- microbe size and smaller.

so with that in mind you could buy a pack of microbes that are engineered to be planted in the soil which could interact with the medium to build a house, I mean really what would be the limit at that point.

and yes, this is what people in nanotechnology are imagining: having a set of "nannites" that will build things like houses or other complex structures.