Why is it blue?

Seanattikus

I'm trying to get some rust for making thermite through electrolysis. I've got it set up and working with a screw on the bubbly wire and some stuff is building up at the bottom of the jar and on the screw. The only problem is that it's not red or orange like I expected; it's light blue! Does anyone know what this could be? I'd appreciate any information you have on this. Maybe I've got the wrong wire or my screw isn't iron. Also, is this stuff safe to handle? Thanks for your help, Sean

how am I supposed to get around that? use iron wire?? the blue stuff formed around the screw, does that suggest that the screw might have copper in it?

I just looked at it more closely, you're absolutely right. The copper wire that wasn't bubbling as much is gone and the flow of energy has, therefore, ceased. So it was that wire that made all the blue stuff (Copper Oxide?). I'll just have to get different wire I guess.

You don't need to do electrolysis to get rust. Just scrape some off the bottom of my car... or grind some iron nails to a powder, or put some steel wool in a jar of water. The non-oxidized aluminum will be harder, as it will oxidize on contact with air.

the fact he doesn't understand the principles of electrolysis suggests to me he is not at the level where it would be a good desicion to make thermite.

ROFLOL, I`m glad YOU said that, If I had said it, I`d be seen as "Picking on" people AGAIN!

I do still have a lot to learn about these things, and that's why I'm asking you. I now know a bit more about electrolysis and I'm going to be studying it all night now that I realize how little I do know. I don't see, though, why I shouldn't be trying to make thermite. I know how to deal with hot things, you just have to make sure to not get close to them. Once I've made the stuff I plan on rigging some way to light it from a distance. Also, I know I could just scrape it off something but I'd rather use electrolysis and learn about it then get a sore arm.

i've seen badly made thermite shoot gobs of molten iron 10m or so.

it can be extremely dangerous as those will burn through you. there is also the danger of setting fire to everything near it.

besides, thermite is really boring anyway. it doesn't actually do anything interesting.

i'm currently into the silicon analogues of various hydrocarbons. i've managed to produce and contain silane and possibly disilane though not in large enough quantities to be sure of.

Sulphur hexa fluoride is another good one to make. can make your voice really deep if you inhale some of it(it is inert in the body, watch out as it displaces oxygen so take a few deep breaths between inhalations.)

the fact he doesn't understand the principles of electrolysis suggests to me he is not at the level where it would be a good desicion to make thermite.

Good point :doh: I should be a little more observant.

The fact that he thinks he knows how to deal with "hot things" probably is even worse. 4500 degrees F and melting through metal is probably hotter than most things he has dealt with.

Seanattikus, may I recommend you read some of the dangers of thermite before using it?

yeah, and you know something can go really wrong when i'm the voice of reason.

and as for dealling with hot stuff, how often have you dealt with somthing at 2500*C that is going to stay that hot till it's over? its not as if you can just chuck some water over it to stop it, it'll still keep going, explode in your face and continue reacting in side you. neither will a CO2 fire extinguisher work(probably speed the whole thing up) and, well, any of them would be utterly useless at stopping the reaction, most would make it do something incredibly violent.