9/11 Consp Theorists Usurping Green Party

Pangloss

One of the fascinating things about politics is the ongoing ebb and flow of political parties and their oft-changing positions over time. The Green Party is ostensibly an environmentalist movement, but at the moment their leading candidate for president is Cynthia McKinney, a 9/11 conspiracy theorist and former congresswoman from Georgia, who is most likely using the Greens as a sympathetic base for her disestablishment agenda.

McKinney is a fascinating case, and as a native Georgian I've been following stories about her for years. I see her as a kind of mutant relic of the civil rights era. An extreme, closed-minded, uncompromising version of Jesse Jackson (who's at least smart enough to keep his mouth shut about "the Jews" most of the time).

As a Democrat and a Congresswoman, McKinney spent most of her time trying to cast light on secret documents, which seemed useful enough at the time, and got her plenty of media attention. Things went downhill, however, after her antisemitic opinions and 9/11 conspiracy theories came to light, and she was ousted by the voters in 2006. She's since relocated to San Francisco, joined the Green Party, and gotten accepted into a PhD program at Berkeley where she will study those secret 1960s FBI civil rights monitoring programs (drawing parallels with the Bush administration, no doubt).

The Greens seem to know what they're getting into, but some of them don't seem to like it. I don't have a link on this at the moment but I caught a brief mention yesterday about predicted rowdiness at the Green Party convention and presidential debates which I believe are coming in the spring. But she does at least pay lip service to Green party goals, and she's hardly the only one taking that kind of extreme position in the party.

But I think it's worth noting that the Green party is certainly not a friendly place for scientists and generally-intelligent, logical, thoughtful people these days. It seems to be more the party for crackpots and misfits now.

Here's an interesting (and amusing) article at the Atlanta Journal & Constitution about McKinney's recent announcement:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/dekalb/stories/2007/12/23/mckinney_1224.html