Unix freeBSD help -> phpMyAdmin installation

mooeypoo

Hey,

Okay.. picture this:

A remote Unix server with freeBSD, php, mysql.

A php.ini file that's been changed and tweaked repeatedly, with no success.

One annoying - repeating - error message:

Cannot load [url="http://php.net/session"][i]session[/i][/url] extension. Please check your PHP configuration.

One, very frustrated, moo.

Egh. Okay, I uploaded the files of phpMyAdmin, wrote the most basic stuff in the 'config.inc.php' file, then went to php.ini and made sure sessions are enabled, they are.

The session details in the php.ini file are:

session.name=PHPSESSID

session.autostart=1

session.cookie_lifetime=0

session.cookie_domain=

session.serialize_handler=php

... and yet, when I try to go to mydomain.com/phpMyAdmin I get that annoying message again about my sessions.

wtf!!

Helpppppppppppppppppppppppp... I'm so frustrated <sob>

~moo

Okay, here's the thing.

I am in charge of the web site along with the server (and even that is only because there's no one else to do it. Technically, I'm supposed to be the webmaster, not the server-admin but I know a bit of Unix, and no one else does, so.. I'm the default).

But.. I didn't install anything on it. The deal, apparantly, is that my job owns it, but it's being 'hosted' at another company that supplies the technical assistance. Technically, they're not supposed to touch it, but they were nice enough to install freeBSD, php and mySQL on it.

All that was before I took the job.

Two months before I took the job... soo.. in other words... here I am, with no one who has half a clue about what "UNIX" is, let alone what freeBSD is, having to re-do a website from scratch without true access to the mySQL server..

And the company that's assisting - it's not quite their job to install stuff for us, so I have to do it myself. If this isn't settled, I'll have to open a 'malfunction' query, and hope they won't charge us too much, but I am trying to avoid that.

So.. uhm, I know there's php4 from the phpinfo page. I can paste the exact details of it if you need.

I am not sure I know how to find the php4-sessions thing -- I looked up "php + session extension" online and that wasn't too fruitful.. so.. any help would be appreciated.

~moo

You're using FreeBSD, which uses "Ports." Ports are software packages you can install from a central repository. Presumably your webhost installed PHP through the Ports system.

If you can get command-line access to the system, you can do this:

cd /usr/ports/lang/php4-extensions
make install

and hope for the best. Hopefully ports are set up on the system.

I'm not too familiar with FreeBSD though, so I'm running off of random knowledge here. Try it and see what happens.

I'm working directly through command line, but I'm not at work right now, so I can't check if that path exists.

I'll do that tomorrow in the morning, and report back :P

btw.. since I'm new to UNIX.. you don't happen to have a good beginner guide to the commands, do you? I only found guides for specific criteria (like.. i looked individually for the commands i wanted to do.. copy files / edit files / move files etc..) is there a place to get 'em all ?

ta :)

~moo

k, I did the extension install, but there was no 'sessions' to pick...

it's still not working.

\now.. weird question: the php on the server is version 4.4.2, but in the /usr/port/lang/ there's also php5-extensions

should i install that?

And, in any case, sound i restat the server after the installation I just did? ... im getting the same error message in phpMyAdmin --> "Cannot load session extension. Please check your PHP configuration."

<sob>

if the version is 4.4.2 then php5-extensions should do nothing (as I expect ports to be settup correctly).

As for restarts nope you shouldn't need to, but you should probably restart apache, I'm taking a guess here because I've never used bsd for very long but try

/etc/init.d/apache restart

To get a list of what php extensions etc you have installed, you can use pkg_info(1) like so:

%pkg_info |grep php

If php4-session isn't listed in that output you're going to want to install it:

%cd /usr/ports/www/php4-session
%make install clean

This will take some time as it downloads the source and compiles. You can then restart apache with (i'm assuming you're running apache2 here)

%/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache22 restart

More information on installing software is available if you get stuck.

now.. weird question: the php on the server is version 4.4.2, but in the /usr/port/lang/ there's also php5-extensions

The ports tree has both php5 and php4 available. So nope you don't want to install anything labeled php5-* since you're running 4.

To get a list of what php extensions etc you have installed, you can use pkg_info(1) like so:

%pkg_info |grep php

If php4-session isn't listed in that output you're going to want to install it:

%cd /usr/ports/www/php4-session
%make install clean

This will take some time as it downloads the source and compiles. You can then restart apache with (i'm assuming you're running apache2 here)

%/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache22 restart

More information on installing software is available if you get stuck.

The ports tree has both php5 and php4 available. So nope you don't want to install anything labeled php5-* since you're running 4.

Awesome awsome, thanks a LOT!

One thing though -- I already installed the php4 extension tree, but it asked me to 'mark' extensions. I marked anything I didn't recognize (to be safe) and everything I thought could be useful (like zip etc) but there was no 'sessions'. The script is stuck on THAT so I hope it will still work...

I'll keep you guys updated - most likely with more questions :P

Thanks!

~moo

I did %pkg_info |grep php and the results are:

php4-4.4.2_1        PHP Scripting Language (Apache Module and CLI)
php4-bcmath-4.4.2_1 The bcmath shared extension for php
php4-bz2-4.4.2_1    The bz2 shared extension for php
php4-calendar-4.4.2_1 The calendar shared extension for php
php4-ctype-4.4.2_1  The ctype shared extension for php
php4-dba-4.4.2_1    The dba shared extension for php
php4-dbase-4.4.2_1  The dbase shared extension for php
php4-filepro-4.4.2_1 The filepro shared extension for php
php4-gd-4.4.2_1     The gd shared extension for php
php4-imap-4.4.2_1   The imap shared extension for php
php4-mbstring-4.4.2_1 The mbstring shared extension for php
php4-mcal-4.4.2_1   The mcal shared extension for php
php4-mcrypt-4.4.2_1 The mcrypt shared extension for php
php4-mcve-4.4.2_1   The mcve shared extension for php
php4-mhash-4.4.2_1  The mhash shared extension for php
php4-ming-4.4.2_1   The ming shared extension for php
php4-mysql-4.4.2_1  The mysql shared extension for php
php4-pcre-4.4.2_1   The pcre shared extension for php

As you can see.. there's nothing there with 'sessions'.. after restarting the server, the installation of phpMyAdmin still claims that there's a problem with my php configurations. I made sure that my php.ini file has

session.autostart=1

and yet, it doesn't work.

I'm stuck :( anyone knows if there might be a problem in phpMyAdmin perhaps?

oh my god oh my god!!!!!!!

I did the install again (for the sessions specifically)

*AND IT WORKS!!!*

You guys rock <dances around>

THANKYOU!!!!!!

((don't think the questions will stop but at least we can change subject :P ))

THANKS !!!

~moo

Okay.. anyone knows how I can get XML module installed?

I tried to use the same concept as the sessions, so I looked for

%cd /usr/ports/www/

%ls

and looked for anything like 'php4-xml' something.. but I couldn't find it.

How do I figure out what the package is? PHP XML should be quite 'widespread', no?

err, help :)

~moo

--- UPDATE ---

K, so I searched

%cd /
%find . -name "*php4*"

and I got aaaaaaaaaalll fiiles with php4 in 'em. And I found php4-xml extension. I installed it (went into the directory and did "make install clean"). Then restarted the server, and it works!

Yay!! I'm getting the hang of this... :P

~moo