Coffee that dosnt stain teeth?

Guest WatchTheRoad

Guest WatchTheRoad

Me and a some friends were curious as to what "substance" causes the discoloring of the teeth in coffee. We were also wondering if this "stain agent" could be taken out or if it is possible to make a clear or "non staining" coffee.

Sorry if this is a stupid idea, its just that so many people spend lots of money getting their teeth bleached, and if there is a way to prevent the staining in the first place..Then.. Well you know the rest.

Thanks, any input would be appreciated

thats a natural property in a coffee molecule, which is a compound. There is no real "substance" that causes that, its coffee.

unless you want to chemically change coffee by altering the bonds in the molecule, it wouldn't be coffee anymore.

So in other words, in my opinion, it can't be done.

The coffee you buy in stores today is not real coffee anyways, it's going through so many chemical procedures. So another one won't matter that much.

And if you want REAL coffee, accept the teeth staining. Otherwise - go for it, the coffee is so chemical as it is, it might just work to take that compound out.

BTW - I have no idea what's causing it but I can give you the drawing of a caffeine molecule if it'll help .. I have it fom some gift someone gave me a while ago to show me I'm a geek.

Speaking of which - the sun is up, time for me to go to bed ;)

~moo

• 2 months later...
thats a natural property in a coffee molecule' date=' which is a compound. There is no real "substance" that causes that, its coffee.

unless you want to chemically change coffee by altering the bonds in the molecule, it wouldn't be coffee anymore.

So in other words, in my opinion, it can't be done.[/quote']

I don't think the idea sounds that ridiculous. What if different parts of the compound were responsible for different things. For instance, one part could be responsible for the flavor of coffee that people enjoy, and another could be responsible for staining teeth. Perhaps an analog can be created that nulls the teeth staining part of the molecule without doing too much to the flavorful part of the molecule resulting in happier coffee drinkers with prettier smiles. however, i must concede that i know nothing about the chemical makeup of a coffee bean.

• 2 weeks later...

well, the brown stuff is burnt (from the roasting) sugars and pigments, etc. in the coffee beans and has nothing to do with caffeine (which is colorless). I'm think the brown stuff is where all the yummy coffee flavor is, so I don't think you want to get rid of it.

You may be able to teflon coat your teeth!