Coil Gun (Pros and cons?)

Crozius

Now i know there have been other posts about the same subject, i have done a search and looked at most of them. If this is not the right spot to be putting this thread it can be moved if needed.

Onto the subject.

I have been looking around and various coilgun designs and settled on Jeff Hoves design (http://www.jeffhove.com/robots/coilgun.html). I thought it best to start off small, running off just a AA battery and a single Capcitor as shown in the design schmatics. Over time i will slowly get more knowledge into the design and theory behind the project, in which i will increase the voltage and the number of capacitors etc.

What tips can all of you give me for a beginner into coilguns? What are the pro's and con's of this little school holiday experiment?

I have seen that some of the larger coilguns have ammeters to see moniter the capicitors voltage etc. Would that be needed for this particular design?

I know of all the safety things like the 300v (approx) that can be stored in a capacitor in just a disposable camera. Thus the reason of rubber soled shoes, rubber gloves and plastic handled screwdrivers. Safety is my first concern, if i wasnt confident enough that i was not gonna kill myself i wouldnt consider doing this.

Thanks for all the help.

Crozius