the purpose of fingerprints?

I might be reviving an old thread here, but I was thinking about something YT said --

they`re used for grip basicly,

and also to provide chanels for cooling via perspiration :)

The grip thing I got :)

But perspiration... won't it have to appear on other parts of the body then, like anywhere else on the skin, or on the places that are usually more "sweaty" than others like armpits and such?

How does it help in perspiration..?

perhaps I made my post a little confusing, lemme explain.

we perspire all over our bodies (sweat) but could you imagine having smooth (no finger prints) and still having sweat. grip on things would be terrible, espcialy things like metal or glass, so the pirints provide channels for this liquid and still allow us some grip even with wet hands :)

• 3 months later...

In response to Aommaster's post

"...don't identical twins have the same fingerprints?"

I'm an identical twin and my brother and I have different fingerprints. I've done some research and it seems that fingerprints also depend on the embryonic environment to help develop their pattern, which causes slight variations. Now we do still have the same DNA, but a fingerprint would identify the individual. So much for advanced science, LOL. :eek:

As for Brainman's later comment:

"Fingerprints help with fine sensations."

The main function of the fingerprint is to increase the available surface area that can be used for grip, nerve endings, "breathing," and so on; more than just "tire tred" for your fingers. The ridges exponentially increase the surface area.

I'm an identical twin and my brother and I have different fingerprints. I've done some research and it seems that fingerprints also depend on the embryonic environment to help develop their pattern, which causes slight variations. Now we do still have the same DNA, but a fingerprint would identify the individual. So much for advanced science, LOL.

Cool! Thanks alot!

perhaps I made my post a little confusing' date=' lemme explain.

we perspire all over our bodies (sweat) but could you imagine having smooth (no finger prints) and still having sweat. grip on things would be terrible, espcialy things like metal or glass, so the pirints provide channels for this liquid and still allow us some grip even with wet hands :)[/quote']

This way our fingers dont start hydroplaning when we get hot. :D