Quantum probability

Gavroche

Alright, I'm new here. I just had a discussion with someone, about statistical probabilities vs. quantum probabilites. I argued that if you control every single variable and factor of an event, you can predict the result. He argued that quantum probability leaves doubt with whether or not that result will come about, even if you are certain, and statistics back you.

For example, if you light a magnesium ribbon on fire, it will flare brightly. I know that, you know that, we all know that. Even not controlling every single factor (minus the lab blowing up or something like that), you KNOW that the magnesium will flare brightly. Can quantum probability overrule that, and produce and alternate result to an event?

I argued that if you control every single variable and factor of an event, you can predict the result.

How would you go about doing that? In chaotic systems, even miniscule differences in starting conditions can lead to exponential divergance in the outcome. You would have to have the ability to control and predict each component of the system with infinite precision. As I said in another thread, infinitely precise initial conditions are a fiction, as far as we can tell- there is no such thing. If you know otherwise, I would be glad to hear how you could actually create an infinitely precise system that would allow such control. If you cannot, it is simply pointless to speak of perfect prediction.