What's the next language you want to learn?

bascule

• 3 months later...

Lots of people choosing Java. Nothing wrong with that, but the cited benefits aren't particularly unique to Java.

For example, Python is likewise platform-independent (and for that matter, can run on top of the Java Virtual Machine using Jython). Python also blows past the rather brittle and frustrating type system found in Java, using a dynamic type system instead. This, combined with higher level OO features like metaclasses and metaprogramming make Python a much easier and more powerful language to program in versus Java. So why not learn Python instead?

Java's faster, much faster (and with IBM's X10, we might even have a good Java-like language for high performance computing).

...and some people prefer static typing, I certainly do (except for small scripts).

That being said. there are so many good packages for scientists written in Python...

Java's faster, much faster (and with IBM's X10, we might even have a good Java-like language for high performance computing).

...and some people prefer static typing, I certainly do (except for small scripts).

As has been discussed ad nauseam both here and on other threads, there are pros and cons to both. My question was specifically addressing the fact that the reasons people are giving here for choosing Java aren't particularly unique to Java (e.g. platform independence), and thanks to the JVM apply equally as well to any JVM language.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...