Aluminum Potassium Sulfate

dubois928

Got a lot of it from an old chemistry set. I read somewhere that it hydrolyzes in water to form a dilute sulfuric acid. Is this true? I have tried it in a small amount of water, heating and mixing along the way. I have it stored for now, but not sure if it worked.

Thanks,

Ken

Well when I came back to the solution it had formed clear crystals in the bottom of the container that stuck there when I poured the solution out to filter it. I scraped the crystals out and set them aside to dry. I then tried to see if the solution would react with sodium bicarbonate, as sulfuric acid does. It did bubble strongly for a moment then tapered off (I didn't use that much at all). So it seems to be sulfuric acid, at least a diluted one. Any thoughts?

Ken

You mean while I was dissolving the chemical in the water? I did have a pretty hot torch flame I was using to help dissolve it; I would heat it until just before it started to boil then remove the flame. But the reaction with the sodium bicarbonate happened at STP.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...