couple questions about major

bregan

Im having a hard time deciding on a major . I really like building new innovative things in my garage ( im a certified welder/pipefitter ) . I have a interest in all science ( especially physics ) . I wanna be in a field of invention and creation . I'm not talking like creating a better q-tip , I mean building the impossible or creating something never thought of before . That is very appealing to me . I am kinda thinking either engineering or physics . If you guys could give me some ideas or advice i would appreciate it .

Thanks , Watts

Mechanical engineering or electrical/computer engineering

Either major can get you into robotics development either the more physical electric applications or with computer engineering you can delve more into intelligent machinery and AI.

I'm a Computer Engineer and I love robotics and AI, I also am mechanically inclined, pretty good field IMO.

• 5 weeks later...

My first post.

I just wanted to say that a career in Physics might be great for you. There are a lot of things happening in many fields of Physics. For example, in a few years we should be able to detect the elusive Higgs particle, which may or may not conform to theoretical predictions. If it doesn't we may need an entire new standard model for particle physics.

You being a welder and mechanically inclined does not send you right to engineering. Experimental physics would give you a chance to put those skills to use to discover new physics.

It would also give you an edge when beginning research as an undergrad. Most of us undergrad physics majors are just pencil-pushing nerds. You have a valuable skill. You should look into experimental physics and see if any fields tickle you.

I wanna be in a field of invention and creation.

Sounds like engineering, especially the "creation"-part.

I'm not talking like creating a better q-tip , I mean building the impossible ...

That sounds ... well ... impossible.

... or creating something never thought of before.

I can almost assure you that the number of people thinking about improving q-tips is way lower than the number of people fantazising about black-hole based time machines.

I just wanted to say that a career in Physics might be great for you.

I am not so convinced. I think physics involves much more learning what other people found out and much less own creativity than engineering. But not being an engineer, that is just prejudice.

You being a welder and mechanically inclined does not send you right to engineering. Experimental physics would give you a chance to put those skills to use to discover new physics.

Inventing new or improved detectors for particle physics experiments sounds a lot like improved q-tips to me.

Most of us undergrad physics majors are just pencil-pushing nerds.

Most graduate physicists are keyboard-stroking nerds :cool:. Btw: Welcome to sfn, you nerd.