International VLBA Project

Fred56

Last year, I think it was, I read an article in the community rag about some professor or other who had set up a new office at one of the Tertiary institutions here in Auckland. This is, the story said, to assist with the international VLBA project, which NZ is expected to participate in by constructing part of the international array here (I think somewhere in the Sth Island). Does anyone know about this project? I haven't had a lot of luck chasing this one because I can't remember the name of the consortium.

Last year, I think it was, I read an article in the community rag about some professor or other who had set up a new office at one of the Tertiary institutions here in Auckland. This is, the story said, to assist with the international VLBA project, which NZ is expected to participate in by constructing part of the international array here (I think somewhere in the Sth Island). Does anyone know about this project? I haven't had a lot of luck chasing this one because I can't remember the name of the consortium.

Here is the VLBA website

http://www.vlba.nrao.edu/

Here is some of a "Very Long Baseline Array" description:

"The VLBA is a system of ten radio-telescope antennas,each with a dish 25 meters (82 feet) in diameter and weighing 240 tons. From Mauna Kea on the Big Island of Hawaii to St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands, the VLBA spans more than 5,000 miles, providing astronomers with the sharpest vision of any telescope on Earth or in space. Dedicated in 1993, the VLBA has an ability to see fine detail equivalent to being able to stand in New York and read a newspaper in Los Angeles. An overview of the VLBA briefly describes its equipment and design."

I don't know anything about what plans they may have to expand, and extend the baseline. At present it extends between the Caribbean on the east and Hawaii on the west

Cheers, I just found an article about the international SKA project. NZ is apparently only a possible site. VLBI in conjunction with Australia has been done here for about 18 months now, except it's never covered in the media (too boring, maybe). I recall the article mentioned the search for black holes in AGNs, and stuff. Guess I'll just have to keep trawling. Or maybe I should bowl up to the institution here and start asking around.