Endo and Exothermic reactions.

TheUnknown

What happens to the heat when you have an exothermic reaction?

Why are there endo and exothermic reactions?

What happens when you have and endo or exothermic reaction?

If you had a big enough endothermic reaction, could you vaporize the liquid that had the endothermic reaction? (My guess here is no because you need extra energy to turn it from a liquid to a gas, the temperature doesn't increase).

These questions seem like homework questions, however, I'll try to provide hints without giving away the answers.

By definition, an exothermic reaction is one that will produce heat. An endothermic reaction would be the opposite, it would require heat to proceed.

As to why there are these types of reactions, you will have to investigate enthalpy; this will provide you with the reason why a reaction may be endothermic or exothermic.

Enthalpy is energy. its is sort of like the potential energy contained ithin a molecule. we chemical people tend to think in changes of enthalpy rather than any absolutes. it makes the maths a lot easier. but, as a rule, the enthalpy of formation of an elemental substance is 0kJ/mol

reactions release or absorb energy. it is a molecule(or more) changing configuration and energy level. usually from a higher energy state(unstable) to a lower energy state(stable.).

the heat in an endothermic reaction goes into the structure of the molecule. usually where bonds are under some stress or it is an unfavourable configuration.

i think i remember covering this stuff way back in third year(heh, just a thought, now i'm back in third year, just a whole level up in university :P) of highschool(here thats 13/14 years old).