about calculating the # of ATP molecules

hello! im new with this site.

I just want to ask what is other alternative way of calculating the number of ATP produced in oxidative phosphorylation in glucose molecules?

Hope you can help me with this.

Thanks a lot.:)

Well I know only one way to calculate the number of ATP's produced in oxidative phosphorylation i.e.

EMP pathway- 6 ATP's

1. In Glycolysis 2 ATP molecules are used up and 4 ATP molecules are produced through substrate-level phophorylation. Total - 4-2 = 2.

2. Two NADH2 are produced and it go through electron transport chain producing 6 ATP'S. One molecule of NADH2 produces 3 atp molecules.

But remember glycolysis takes place in the cytoplasm of the cell. So the two NADH2 produced have to pass through the mitochondrial membrane and this utilizes 2 atp's. One atp for one NADH2.

Total = 8-2 =6. Two pyruvic acid molecules are produced.

Krebs cycle- 30 ATP's

1.Pyruvic acid molecules undergo oxidative decarboxylation and produce two acetyl COA molecules, two NADH2 molecules. So 6 ATP'S

2. IN TCA cycle 6 NADH2 molecules are produced. So 6*3 = 18 atp's.

3. 2 FADH2 molecules are produced. So 2*2 = 4 atp's. One FADH2 molecule produces 2 atp's.

4. 2 atp's are produced by substrate level phosphorylation.

So the total number of atp's produced is 36. This has to be there in your text book and I don't think that there is an alternate way to calculate ATP produced in oxidative phosphorylation.

• 1 year later...