Is it Justified?

ChemSiddiqui

[FONT="Garamond"]Well I would like to ask this question to all the people who live and study in the UK. You see,i am applying for an undergraduate chemistry course at the University of Oxford and ofcourse since I am from Pakistan, I will be considered an 'oversea' student. Now, have u lot looked at the fee structure for local 'home' students to that of an oversea 'international' student? The home fee is somewhere between 3000 to 3300 quids while for oversea students it is roughly 9000 pounds and that excludes living cost. Now do u ppl think this is fair. if u want to attract oversea students to come and study in the Uk would u not have a different policy. And if any1 here wants to question as to why i want to come to the uk for studies then i believe it is fair to mention that i am a british national and want to study in the uk.

Please dicuss the said matter.[/font]

As I understand it, home students pay only a portion of the full fee and the rest is subsidised by the government, which I assume gets the money from the tax paid by the home students and their families and other tax payers in the UK who in general will benefit from the home student gaining an education.

International students are made to pay the full fee, as in general if they are not paying said tax, then why should their fees be subsidised by the British government? There is also the second point, that even if they do somehow pay tax, a large portion of international students won't necessarily stay in the country upon graduation which means that the people who are paying tax towards said subsidies, but who are not going to University themselves are cheated, because their tax money would be going towards something which would not benefit them.

I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with this mentality but I certainly wouldn't argue it's unfair within the current political system (both in Britain and worldwide). Perhaps there is some way you can get the Pakistani government to help subsidise some of the fee?

I appreciate ur reviewing this matter critically. I would like to tell that my father lives in the Uk and pay every kind of taxes. I think maybe its because i didn't expalin it or u got it wrong, that my piont was even if you pay all sort of taxes be it council tax, bills or anyother and if you are living in somewehre outside the uk, then why there is not any policy which protects british national like me from oversea fee rate. i however by no mean intended to critise the policy it was just a general question.

thnx for ur reply though!

I would like to tell that my father lives in the Uk and pay every kind of taxes.
If you say you live with your father then you might be able to get the cheaper rates.

In the US there's a similar deal with in-state and out of state students. Just like the UK's government, in the US both the federal and state governments help pay for college so if you go to a school in another state you end up paying a lot more.

It's perfectly normal, ChemSiddiqui. It's not like they're discriminating against oversees students. You just aren't a citizen and therefore haven't been paying taxes all your life. This is the same problem many countries have with "illegals" living inside their borders, but not paying taxes. Illegal immigrants get some of the benefits that citizens do but they don't have to pay taxes.

probably, IF we wanted to attract more immigrants or students.

Or perhaps more specifically (not sure to what extent universities can set their fees as they like): IF OXFORD wanted to attract more foreign students. I don't really think Oxford university the problem that no one from abroad wants to study there.