What really Happens?

ChemSiddiqui

Hi, its my time time posting at any physics section in SFN. Well, I have a question. I wonder when you put a glass bottle of say pepsi or coke or whatever in a freezer, why it get broke after a limited period of time. Is it due to the expansion ...I doubt it?

Please if any1 has the answer oblige it.

thnx

It is, however, very unusual and somewhat counterintuitive for a substance to do this. Water is one of the only substances to expand as it freezes. This happens because its most common crystal structure has a lot of empty space in it.

To expand a little on what Sysyphus said, a few of the other ones that are less dense in their solid state than liquid state are silicon, antimony, gallium, and bismuth. Acetic acid is the only other compound that I know of. Considering the millions of compounds/elements that we know the physical properties of, it really is quite rare.

And, then, to further confuse us all, not all ice is actually less dense than liquid water. However, that ice is only formed under rare circumstances, like high pressure and/or very cold temperatures. If I remember correctly, there are something like 6 different forms of ice -- maybe even more.

12 types of ice. though, ice IX does not act like the ice IX in the sci-fi novel cat's cradle and it will not freeze the oceans from a single molecule.

I knew it was a high number, but didn't realize it was up to 12. I remember when I took undergrad thermodynamics and the professor gave us the then-up-to-date phase diagram for water, with all the ice type phases known at the time -- what a mess!