Static Inertial Dampeners

Guest026

I saw a history channel program about making water based organisms fly with no thrust but with static pulling the water in different directions and just then I thought of using this, not to fly, but to pull you around in a jet where you could experience high amounts of g-forces; a computer similar to the kind used in the Harrier vertical take-off and landing fighter would be needed. Of course this sort thing is rediculously impractical but could it be possible?

I have another question what age group was this forum meant for?

Edit: Anyone?

Edit: come oooooon don't be lazy!

I'd have thought the energies involved would make it completely impossible to do it as you'd have to move quite large amounts of air for something as big as an aircraft.

Any age really. From what I've seen we'll answer questions from the most basic to the most complex if people are in that field...

I'd have thought the energies involved would make it completely impossible to do it as you'd have to move quite large amounts of air for something as big as an aircraft.

Any age really. From what I've seen we'll answer questions from the most basic to the most complex if people are in that field...

oh cuz im 14 n i always considered myself smarter than average untill i read u ppl's posts now i feel kinda like a little kid at sum adult dinner party or sumthing

oh and jet engines have enough power to displace the air at high speeds the power problem is with the static inertial dampener because it takes lots to suport a humans weight plus the g-forces would make the prrson even heavier

Edit: i never knew about science forums until i decided to ask sum1 on a forum bout whether i should use compressed air or explosives in a pneumatic actuator

Indeed jet engines do, but I imagine they are far more efficient... although I wouldn't like to say for sure...

The harrier (as an example) has small vents in the wings so it can route the energy from it's engines to push it sideways...

Well we've all spent ALOT of time learning the stuff we write about. And it's always good to have younger people around, so that you can learn the stuff we talk about... Most of the regulars here, and most academic scientists, want to spread their knowledge and will always be happy to answer even the most basic questions, because we've ALL been there.

Indeed jet engines do, but I imagine they are far more efficient... although I wouldn't like to say for sure...

The harrier (as an example) has small vents in the wings so it can route the energy from it's engines to push it sideways...

Well we've all spent ALOT of time learning the stuff we write about. And it's always good to have younger people around, so that you can learn the stuff we talk about... Most of the regulars here, and most academic scientists, want to spread their knowledge and will always be happy to answer even the most basic questions, because we've ALL been there.

thanks!

Edit: so does anyone else have anything to say about my "inertial dampener"?

Edit: does any of what i just said have any credibility at all? because i get the feeling that you think its a pretty stupid idea

have you heard of the "lifter"? it's a little device run off a remote high voltage source that does pretty much what you're describing.

they tend to be made of foil and thinned skewers with almost zero payload capacity. they fly though, which is the cool part.

thanks!

Edit: so does anyone else have anything to say about my "inertial dampener"?

Edit: does any of what i just said have any credibility at all? because i get the feeling that you think its a pretty stupid idea

Nah it's not stupid. It's always good to look at things and think of other ways that you could apply them :D

And lifters are rather cool...

• 9 months later...
Of course this sort thing is rediculously impractical but could it be possible?

well assumung you could have something not mounted to your air/space/whatever craft moving at a rate consistent with your own. you could do it. but then the thing pulling your pushing you would have to do all the work, which who knows may be more practical for your use.