Interesting Labs

encipher

Hi,

I'm doing some volunteer work at a high school over the summer and will be preparing labs for the AP chemistry students next year. I'm looking for ideas on fun, interesting and informative labs that a high school student can do in class. Time is not an issue if it is a very good lab. I'm particularly looking for labs involving fractional distillation and simple distillation, at least one of each. Thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I'm not looking for a whole write-up or procedure, as that is part of the work I will be doing. Labs that are visually appealing and/or intellectually stimulating would be the best.

Thank you.

Yes, however they are only suggested. However, the goal is to find labs that are more realistic, as in they will help students get a feel of what goes on in the chemical industry. Labs such as taking copper wire, placing it in a flame and watching it glow don't exactly do the job.